Some naughty person(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Figured it was. Seems to me that this could be worked out. As I understand it the artifacts that were bagged really weren't worth this much trouble. Not sure where PADI gets it's info from as far as what's gone but their version differs a bit from last I heard.

I bet a deal could be brokered where, for the return of the artifacts, the recoverer(s) could even get recognition for the recovery in addition to amnesty (no promises on this).

I"m not against artifact recovery, not at all, but this is in a sanctuary. The folks that did this are stealing from all of us. I'll burn you if I get the chance unless you own up to it. If you own up to it I'll help you get the stuff properly displayed and do my best to keep you cool with the Government.

Tom

disgusting. I hope they get caught!:(

Kayla:)

Originally posted by Divesherpa
How many people would have seen this stuff anyway? I would have appreciated seeing it, but the wreck diver who trained me had a saying,"To the victor go the spoils." It wasn't very original, but she spurred research to find a lot of new wrecks.

We have wrecks that are 100-150 years old with many artifacts in good shape. Some have been taken so now no one will see them, but the selfish person who took them home.
One of the thrills of wreck diving is looking at artifacts.
Do you want your grand chrildren to dive?
What will they look at?
Empty hulls stripped clean, I hope not.
check our local effort POW

your efforts should be applauded Divedude.
Conservation is a very important part, but I feel that some artifacts can be retrieved. The sea is open game except in areas that are preserved by some organization. If an individual does the research and finds a new wreck, they should keep whatever they want, whether for personal collection or for museum display.

Look at what was recently retrieved from the Monitor. This is a worst case scenario.

A ship's bell is great to see in the water, but I've pulled a few and hope to add more in the future.

Cheers and safe diving

The press release on the PADI site is wrong. The previous draft NOAA press release that got out (which PADI based theirs on) was also wrong. NOAA recently issued an accurate press release which presents the facts; those that have seen it may have noticed there was no mention of artifact theft.

Here is the bottom line:
No artifacts were pillaged, looted, or stolen.

Due to that erroneous draft press release there was a lot of rumor, innuendo, and speculation. Furthermore, several individuals (other divers) took it upon themselves to spread rumors and flat out lies about myself and others to start some trouble. This is one of the reasons I have not discussed this project until the information was officially released.

BACKGROUND

After an AUE dive we did in February, we mentioned that we did not observe a couple key artifacts we noticed on earlier dives at the site. However, we were clear in pointing out that we were working on other areas of the ship, documenting other diagnostic features and only briefly swam past the area where they were located (where we secured our shotline). The Principal Investigator and I both stated strongly that we wanted to confirm if anything was disturbed before saying anything officially. We were pretty sure that we had just missed them, as we had a pretty good idea how little attention the wreck was getting and knew the few other people who were diving on it. Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm anything for better or worse in February as the next dive was cancelled. Our next scheduled dives on the site were not for several weeks.

Well, in the interim an overzealous individual (not associated with the project dives) got tunnel vision and was convinced the site was looted and put language in that draft press release. The initial problem started when that erroneous draft press release -- which was sent to KADO (Keys Association of Dive Operators) for review -- was forwarded to the Rodales Board and then several e-mail lists. It clearly stated on the top of the original copy that it was a draft, not for release (which the particular Florida Keys dive business/individual neglected to mention). It was sent to KADO to get input about getting their help as intermediaries to recover artifacts during an amnesty period (versus NOAA). Furthermore, it was not cleared by the principals doing the work. When it came out we were a bit concerned to say the least. Then the rumors flew...

The following B.S. spread by a couple of other divers tarnished the whole project for myself and several others. We had spent a lot of time, effort, and money working to identify this wreck and a couple people did everything they could to derail that work out of pettiness, spite, and jealousy. At one point several of us wished we had never heard of the Queen of Nassau. While everyone inside of the loop knew the truth, some of the calls got elevated to people that had no involvement or information at all on the project and they started demanding answers. It got uncomfortable for several people due to all the miscommunication.

Our next dives confirmed that everything was fine and dandy -- all the artifacts of concern were right were they always were.

The dive team recovered several artifacts under a NOAA authorized and archaelogically sound research plan. The large forward mast running light, portions of a running light lantern, china, and a ceramic creamer were recovered and are undergoing conservation in Tallahasee. They will then be displayed in the Keys at a site to be determined. There is also talk of a display at the maritime museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia (the CGS Canada was stationed there), which we all think is very fitting and perhaps even more appropriate than a Keys display.

That's about it. The Queen of Nassau link and pictures are back up on the AUE website if anyone wants to read about the ship's background and see a lot of pictures.

http://www.mikey.net/aue/canada.htm

The project will also be discussed in upcoming issues of several dive magazines.

Rumors are MUCH more entertaining than the truth, but thanks for setting the record straight.:wink:
All the hubbub was probably for the best, anyway. On wrecks like these, the artifacts really do need to be yanked off (after proper shutterbugging & documentation) so they may be maintained for the public trust instead of rotting away in some guy's garage or flowerbed.
It's only a matter of time before some character would rip the things off anyway, (even if it is legal to strip the wrecks).
I've seen way too much of that in the Great Lakes, where we have some pretty outstanding wrecks in excellent states of preservation, 'till the wrong folks get to them

Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by aue-mike
No artifacts were pillaged, looted, or stolen.

I'm glad to hear that. My apologies for thinking badly of you.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom