Some of The Coolest Stuff You've Seen Shallow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fresh water flounders about the size of my thumb from the 1st joint down along with a crayfish that would have passed for a small lobster in the stores around here. all in 4-8ft of water in ginnie springs in fla. we also get freshwater jellies about the size of your thumbnail in mt storm and they seem to be in the top 10 ft or so. while snorkeling off smathers beach in key west saw literally hundreds of small urchins, clown fish,needles, and an anemone in water that was 4-5ft. it was this and the following cruise to cozumel where I agin got to snorkel and heard fish chew for the first time that convinced me to get certified. Shallow water experiences still fascinate me and I've found some great stuff in less than 20 ft while just hanging out at the safety stop.

There is a great little reef called Vetchies just off one of the beaches in Durban SA. The deepest we went was just over 5m, vis wasnt the best but there was so much to see.

Baby Morays, baby Lionfish. All in all it seems to be a bit of a nursery for the babies

Great diving

Rick Inman:
Ya know, you could have just said "clam" instead of making me do a Google. :wink:

Yeah, but it was a BIIIIIIG clam!

Well, there is lots of stuff. One of the best was my first encounter with a green morey. In about 4ft, I came around a coral head and came faceplate to teeeeeth. Scare the pee out of me, so after backing off, I naturally had to send my buddy around, without any warning as to what was waiting. Daves' a real nice gental sole, and I never knew he could curse like that. LOL

My wife and I went for our first DUI demo days at Lake Wazee, WI this year... Second day - we decided to go deep for a bit, then following the shoreline about ~30-40 feet down. Eventually we had to surface due to some air trapping problems. So we're hanging out on the surface taking it easy. We notice a pair of loons about a hundred feet away. They'd be sitting on the water, then disappear, then reappear about 40 seconds later. "Oh, cool. The loons are diving! Uh, Greg, look behind you..."

There was a second pair of loons about 15-20 feet away from us, looking at us. After sitting open-mouthed for a few seconds, we quickly replaced our masks and looked to see then underwater - but they were too far away. They dive down, and pop back up about 10 feet away. Okay, now we can see them underwater. When they dove again, we got a good look at them - they curl up and look like black and white footballs underwater, occasionally, sticking out a leg, or maybe opening a wing just a hair to adjust trajectory UW. They did this a couple of times, then moved on. We were shocked that they got so close to us.

Harbor seals love to play at the surface or just a few feet and little octis are too fun also!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom