Some questions about diving in Donsol area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bearteacher.tw

Contributor
Reaction score
We plan to dive there next Feburary, Lunar New Year's holiday. We will go to Legaspi and also leave from it by air and this diving holiday will be 7 or 8 days. After checking some websites, I still have some questions. Please give me a hand.

1. Is Feburary a good timing to spot whalesharks and manta rays in Donsol area?

2. Is snokelling with whalesharks in Donsol worthy? If we will dive in mantabowl then.

3. Where could we stay in Donsol? One dive service providing package arrange to stay in the Woodland Beachresort. Is this resort good? Or we can stay in a local city hotel? If we don't join the package, when we arrive at Donsol, how could we join the trip of snokelling with whalesharks?

4. In Ticao Island, Which diving resort is better among the Altamar and Ticao Dive resort? We prefer better facility, food and diving service.

5. It seems that the most famous dive site near Ticao Island is mantabowl. Because we will stay a whole week in this area, will we feel bored if we always dive in mantabowl? Or there are still other good sites to visit?

6. The package also arrange some dives in San Miguel island. What could we expect to see there? is it ok?

7. After diving, what are the local land tours in this area, Masbate, Donsol and Legazpi? I saw from the package tour inclusive of a boat ride to Donsol River for seeing fireflys. Is it amazing or just soso?

8. We are budget traveller. We can't make sure spending USD840 to join a 7-day package is too expensive or fair. If we just contact the dive resort in Ticao Island and handle other transportation and tours by ourselves, will it be much cheaper than joining package tour? The local transportation is convenient or not?

Thanks for reading these questions. If you can give us some advies and answers, you are more than welcome.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=140729

there's a bit of Donsol and Ticao on the above thread. You can PM the person who posted it about the hotels...

I think 7 days in Donsol is too long, specially if you spot your whale shark on the 1st day. If you have time, drop by Anilao or Puerto Galera for a couple of days. It's near Manila so you have access to the airport... If you like beaches, then Palawan of Boracay might be a good place to go.

Getting up close and personal with a whale shark is a truly wonderful experience. We went there in early may and we were able to see more than 7 during our snorkelling! I can't imagine doing that for more than one day (or even just half a day) though. They don't allow SCUBA around the whale sharks though.
As for the cost of the trip, well, it sounds a bit steep to me.

After checking most websites about diving in Ticao Island, it seems there are only few dive sites in Manta Bowl and/or San Miguel Island.

We plan to stay in Ticao resort for 7~8 nightsand have 3 dives per day. We are worried this holiday will be too long.

We are interested into some big things, like Manta rays, hammerheads and of course whalesharks, but also inot small things, like beautiful corals, and critters. Is Ticao island worhty to visit? Is it ok to stay more than 7 days?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I am going to Manta Bowl as well, in December. I was just wondering if you can dive Manta Bowl from Donsol or is it much easier to dive from Ticao Island. I have been in contact with Ticao Island Resort, but want some independant view on this.

Also, how difficult is it to get from Ticao (Masbate) to Cebu?

Last but not least, is December a good time to see Manta at Manta Bowl?

You guys can stay in our resort on San Miguel Island. We are preparing the resort now in time for the next whale shark season, which usually starts on February. We don't have diving operations on the island itself but we usually hook our guests up with dive operators in Donsol or Ticao Island. The island is beautiful, peaceful and gives you a great view of Mayon on a clear sunny day.

You can visit our website here for more pictures: http://www.haleaisland.com

San Miguel Island has great coral cover all around it. You can download a video I made from the diving I did there last March here: http://www.divepixel.com Just click on the "Halea Island, Ticao (April 2006)" video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom