Some things are just worth the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
Whoa! Just a cotton-pickin second there. There is *no* way on earth I'd ditch my drysuit. That's the last piece of gear I'd consider getting rid of.

Drysuit goes before the light. I'll dive wet before I dive dark.

---
Ken

Yeah, the things that everyone is saying definitely ring true to me...
I was saying the same thing a year ago:
It a light? "yes"
And it's 1000-1600 dollars? Yes
What else does it do? "Nothing, it's a light, you using for lighting things and communicating"
For 1300 bucks? "Yes"
You must be absolutely @!#@! high...

But, then when you see it being used by someone who knows how to use it well, it is quite a convincing thing.
So of course I bought one, and I absolutely love it and never want to give it up.

Yesterday was the first time I dove with my dad since I got it. Viz was 10-20 feet, and for the first time I had NO trouble getting his attention.
Great stuff.

catherine, the reason you think a strobe is more practical is because you don't dive in green pea soup! Today, we got into an area where the S&R divers had been doing some kind of drill dragging a rope, and had knocked the viz down to probably no more than five feet. I was very grateful for my light, and my buddy's light, because it made us so much more visible, and made it easy to communicate. Our third buddy wasn't diving with a light, and he was awfully hard to keep track of.

Catherine, the strobe is only more rational if you've never used a large can light. I don't see how a strobe makes your dive any better or safer. If the price bothers you, a less expensive plan is to purchas a used can light in the battery size of your choice and have a new light head installed. I have 2 such lights, a 9ah 21 watt, and a 14ah 21 watt. one was $625, and the other was $725, complete with chargers, so for $1350 I have two and no strobe (yet). I recomend Salvo for the up grades. Good luck and dive safe.

Mo2vation:
I have no idea what that is. Looks like some dude poaching a lobster trap.

Whatever. Not the kind of diving I do. I have yet to find a reason on any of MY dives to take the light off the hip and leave it on the shore or boat.

I even shoot a sizeable DSLR with 2 strobes while wearing my light. If for some unknown reason I need both hands unfettered, I'll clip off the light head. If the cord is a danger, I'll tuck it into my waist band.

There is never a reason in MY type of diving to not take a light.

---
Ken

The dude, moi, is recovering the lobster trap for the owner. The line is fouled on a mooring block and chain.

Green_Manelishi:
The dude, moi, is recovering the lobster trap for the owner. The line is fouled on a mooring block and chain.

Were you able to retrieve it for the owner?

K

Back
Top Bottom