something between blackbeards and the luxury liners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second Lost Island Voyages. My wife & I have been on 4 of their trips on the Avalon. Very good crew, great locations. Blackbeard boat shadowed us one trip (they had compressor issues & we helped them out)

I'll third Lost island Voyages. I've joined two different charters with them as single diver taking up space that was not booked by the main group. Captain Ray knows the Bahamas like the back of his hand and he is a wealth of history on the islands and dive sites. Depending on the weather and trip plan you can count on 4-5 dives a day but you don't have to dive them all. Food is good and plentiful, as are the beverages. Cabins are air conditioned, plenty of fresh hot water for showers, and the sails will be raised when the wind is good.

How is wanting more than camping at sea being a "snob"? Nothing wrong with any of the lower cost boats but in some locations I visit $2K would get me literally Top Ramen, maybe even having to crew the boat. I'm from NC too, so you're just as welcome on any of those boats where they, gasp, pay more than $2K a week.

Lost Island in June for me. Others seemed too commercial when talking with them. Booked and now just need to ride out four letter word until then......WORK!
icosm14.gif

I have done the Ultimate Getaway and really loved the trip very very knowledgeable of the Tortugas. Hoping to go back someday soon. great food and great service well worth it and better than Blackbeards from what I have heard from others on the trip. Also thinking about the Juliet looking very promising.

Not to hijack, but this is an interesting thread as I'm also from Austin and I'm price sensitive to a certain degree. However, assuming nothing has changed in 10 years including myself, I like Blackbeards.

My main concern is airfare. I used to live in DC and could get down to MIA for $100 give or take. I think all total a trip on BB's to Bimini was $1200 for a week. Now it looks like airfare from Texas is $600 and the routing requires you to get there a day early. I suspect I'd have a hard time doing a trip on BB's for < $2K now. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Time to start planning a long, long overdue vacation by myself without kids.

Lost Island Voyages would be a good choice for you because it is still pretty close to the same price range as Blackbeards being at $1290 per week, but they only take out 12 passengers as opposed to 24. Those 12 passengers are in 6 private 2 person cabins each with its own sink and shower. Plus there are two push button heads and 2 showers with plenty of hot water for everyone to shower daily. They also have quite a bit of deck space for sunbathing and a nice pad laid out on deck boxes making a great relaxation spot. The main salon can seat all 12 passengers and the food is great and there is a wide variety of food because they stock in the US. And while the diving is of course spectacular, the small number of people makes it easy for the crew to completely customize the trip around whatever the people on board want to do, and the crew is VERY accommodating toward this. Every week on the Avalon is different.

Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages and the office number is 305-756-7762. It's family owned and operated, so you will likely be speaking with the captain/owner on the phone if you don't reach the cook plugging away in the office. :D Very fun spirited crew and boat.

Hey scotty,
Do you know when you want to go for your holidays?
Have you thought about trying a new destination? Burma has some fantastic dive sites. But it is only opened from November tilll May Check out a Video of what can be seen on this blog: Do you want to know what diving in Burma is like? - the smiling seahorse    dive centre
Hope you have an Awesome time for your first liveaboard holidays, if you like diving, you should be hooked, there is no better way, for me, to enjoy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom