Something Stupid with my housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the glass removable? I've never dealt with Olympus, as I use SeaFrogs housings, but in SeaFrogs port it's relatively easy to take the glass out for repairs or replacement - SeaFrogs sells replacement glass pieces; if the Olympus glass is removable, then perhaps you can buy a replacement part, and even if you can't, it should be much easier to polish out the scratches outside the port.
I wondered about that but was a bit concerned that it would be sealed and difficult to reseal.
Will do more checking. Good thinking and appreciate it.

Olympus wrote back to say that they don't sell parts and to send it to a repair shop to have the back door fixed....
Don't think they read my mail.
The AOI 4" dome turns up this week, so may be all academic!

Olympus wrote back to say that they don't sell parts and to send it to a repair shop to have the back door fixed....
Don't think they read my mail.
The AOI 4" dome turns up this week, so may be all academic!
I use zen demi-dome, it works also with 60mm but flat port is still better with a macro lens. If you are not willing to try to fix, you could always check for older models of Oly housings that come with the port you have. They are quite inexpensive as used. I never disassembled the stock port but I am pretty sure there are o-rings if you remove the screws and the ring, so, you could probably put it back together after polishing. Let us know if you take the chances.

Hi all, took a chance and polished it and it came off very easily so now I have a semi-dome and a flat port.
My next issue is the guy I bought the port from included a 9-18 lens that he bought with the dome in Jan 22. Do I sell the almost brand-new 9-18 or the older one I have? I am of a mind to keep the new one and sell my older one.
Q. is it worth the extra weight to take both ports? Is the dome macro weakness important enough to take both?

Hi all, took a chance and polished it and it came off very easily so now I have a semi-dome and a flat port.
My next issue is the guy I bought the port from included a 9-18 lens that he bought with the dome in Jan 22. Do I sell the almost brand-new 9-18 or the older one I have? I am of a mind to keep the new one and sell my older one.
Q. is it worth the extra weight to take both ports? Is the dome macro weakness important enough to take both?
Happy to hear all went well. Make sure you update the lens firmware to the latest in case previous owner did not. I think it is worth to take the port with you if you will do a lot of macro. Dome is good if you are lazy to exchange the lens and not anticipating amazing macro opportunities. Occasional night dive in a liveaboard for instance, I would leave the dome on and just change to 30/60mm. You can also add an external wet diopter to the flat port (I have the adapter for it) to do super macro. I like WA, so I rarely use macro lenses but if I was to travel to Lembeh, I will definitely bring a flat port with me.

I didn't realise the drawbacks of using a dome v flat port. It is nearly 30 years since I owned a dome - on a Nikon film camera. That dome was huge but I thought a small dome would be good enough to do both macro and wide angle!

Back
Top Bottom