Sometimes the little bird has to be kicked out of the nest..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
oh...the old backwards tiller trick...

actually WC is just being kind (for once)

I wouldn't say I docked it....I drifted it.
Ahh, Grasshopper has learned the secret ancient art of docking – patience and get the boat in the right position to let nature take it into the dock. This can get tricky when the wind and currents are not flowing together and you have a boat with a shallow draft and tall broadsides and you don’t know what is moving you.

Soon you will enjoy the dockside audience as you master the Capt. Ron methods of docking - then you can learn to sail a floatplane into the dock.

I have been boating and docking for a year and a half now. It takes time to get comfortable

deeper thoughts:
I have been boating and docking for a year and a half now. It takes time to get comfortable
I’ve been docking everything from jetskis to 48’ cruisers for 45 years and I still find new and creative ways to screw it up sometimes.

It’s said that there are 3 simple rules to perfect landings and dockings – unfortunately no one yet knows what they are.

I gave her the training video to watch but I don't thnk she has yet.
"Looks like you forgot to cast off there boss, no problem, could happen to anyone"

catherine96821:
The worst thing is that you have an audience.

people come out of the Kona Brewery, the ice cream place, Zippy's...just to watch anyone looking insecure about docking.

Rubberneckers . . . dontcha hate them? :wink:

Congrats on the successful docking - and nary a scratch to show for it.

chepar:
Rubberneckers . . . dontcha hate them? :wink:

Congrats on the successful docking - and nary a scratch to show for it.

My first time docking at tavernier creek marina I should of charged for the comic relief show I put on(my ladder still has the scars!!)

Ahhhhhhh... yeah.. docking.. I remember the first time I did that.. and drifted right through the pilings......... .... .. ... ..... sorry.. thoughtful moment there. I was only 12 then and had a 15' boat, so missing pilings to tie up was easy. I sorta cut the motor like I'd seen grandpa do hundreds of times before... daily. Borrying his technique, I didn't realize the 104 other things that influenced when and where he did that.

Good job at getting docked up Catherine! :)

Since Capt Catherine is now a pro docker and does not need me anymore, we went and got our own BIG ENOUGH boat! YEA!!! Look in the boat section for pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom