Sony Cyber Shot 5.0,DSC-P10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fredi

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
Is there anyone using this camera for underwater photos?Read good review for above water shots but no reviews on UW shots and its UW housing quality.Any comments greatly appreciated.Fredi.

but I don't know that there are stock UW housings for this camera. I have the Sony Cyber DSC S50 & I know they don't make a stock for it. I checked in w/ Sony & several of the big names in housings.

Ah - just found a similar post & pics from someone using this camera! Now if I can figure out the link-y things....http://www.scubaboard.com/t41759/s.html

You can also check www.digideep.com for U/W housing for your camera. It is well laid out, you can simply choose your model camera and then it will display all the U/W housing available... good site...

Sony makes a "marine pack" for the p-10/8, I think it's the MPK-PHA or something like that. Check sony.com or b&h or any of the underwater photo stores. It's similar to the Olympus made housings--inexpensive, clear plastic with buttons for all of the cameras' buttons except the display. I've used it--works fine.
As for the camera, it's a sweet little thing, but has some drawbacks for underwater. Compared to the popular (and larger) Oly 5050, you don't have manual controls or ability to set white balance on the fly. I had trouble with some bright, shallow situations in Hawaii. There may be a way to adjust using the pre-set special scene settings, but I didn't figure it out. Dee says Sonys shots look too green--I tend to agree, although it's hard to tell since I'm mostly diving in "green" water in Monterey. If you're not yet adept at digital editing, you'll need to learn (as I still do).

Good luck

I like it for it's affordability and size.
I dislike it for it's lack of manual controls.

I haven't had any problems with the housing.
The bonus is it's stock sony, so it cost under $200.
(Olympus and Canon make similar stock housings)

It is definately the black sheep of this forum.
The camera of choice seems to be the Olympus 5050,
and for good reason as it has a stock housing and has manual settings.
I'm not sure of ther size difference, but it could be negligable.

Anyway here are some shots with the P10/PHA, no flash.
For all of these I did have a sea and sea 16mm attached via an adapter ring.
The adapter ring lets you attach and change lenses underwater just like the sea and sea setup.

The pics are somewhat green, but i do dive in green water.

Like I said the size is mainly why I like it.
On land you almost don't know it's in your pocket.
In a briefcase or purse you definately don't notice it's there.
Underwater you can clip it off or put it in a pocket,
which is great for when you are doing other things where you don't want to carry a rig.
If I was going to be diving with the sole intent of taking pictures,
I would probably want a camera with full manual controls and strobes.

My wife just got one and we went diving this week-end. She is very happy with it as it is very small and fits in the BC pocket; results are very good even without an external strobe as long as you stay very vlose to your subject. So yes it is definitely not a tool for a serious underwater photographer, but as a way to get beautiful snapshots of your dives it is great... Just a first impression anyway

Yes I use one.

Some of my shots are here.

http://www.hyoho.com/moalinf.html

Older ones were taken with an Olympus 1.5 mega

I particularly like the spot focus. I lost a lot of shots with the Olympus as the camera would auto focus on the largest object in the frame if colours were not too distinct. Sometimes got a perfect background with the object out of focus.

I would really not trust my eyes to get a good shot on manual. My eyes are not bad, just old. Now if I could change to reading specs underwater to take macro I would have some really nice photos.

P.s. I should have mentioned in the previous post that I live in Japan. A lot of these goods such as cameras have stock lines made for the foreign market. They make changes here every year as they just love new models.

I had a problem with Olympus changing the button alignment with one model.

Also they hardly ever offer English models here. I have some electronic goods such as VTR that have remotes with over 70 buttons in Japanese. I really try to get away from it when I can. What I can say for Sony is they sell "Lingual goods"

scurvydog-diver once bubbled...
Hi,
Check this site. Looks like he gets some good shots.

http://americandivemaster.com/new_page_4.html

Tom
Rob definately has some great shots
and has a nice set up. (using s&s conversion lens and sync cord)
It looks like he updated his site with the new conversion chart.
(believe it or not the outdated p9 chart is the one in the latest s&s dealer catalog)

He actually confirmed for me, a while back, that the s&s adapter
ring for the p9 housing fits the new pha housing.

Which is what you'll have to use, as they do not make one for the pha yet.
Of course they are hard to find, as they are no longer manufactured.
I did find 5 of them back when I bought it, his friend needed one too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom