Sony HC3 - Low Light - Grouper Cleaning Station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAIBdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently sold my Canon ZR70 and housing and purchased a Sony HC3 and IkeLite housing.

I shot this over the weekend with my new HC3. I could have used lights, but I wanted to see what my Sony HC3 can do in low light. The clip is not software edited - it's raw from the camera. To get to Google Video it had to be compressed.

The grouper was in an overhang on a wreck. Conditions - sky was overcast and although the vis was good, it was dark. I'm sure lights would have made this a much better shot , but it may have scared the grouper off the cleaning station.

I used:
Manual: white balance, exposure and focus. Colour Correction filter. Also telephoto. I was less that 2 feet away, but didn't want to disturb the grouper by getting closer.

This is my first rig where so many controls are available to me to use. I'm like a kid in a candy shop.

Below is the link to the clip.

Grouper Cleaning Station

Not bad. Lights would have helped a lot on this one. Then with it being overcast, didn't help one bit.

I just finished my first video and really enjoyed it. It took a lot of time but it was worth it.

Not bad. Lights would have helped a lot on this one. Then with it being overcast, didn't help one bit.

I just finished my first video and really enjoyed it. It took a lot of time but it was worth it.
crpntr133,
the idea was to not use lights - I wanted to see what the Sony HC3 was capable of in a low light situation + I wanted to practice using the manual controls that are now available to me.
NAIBDiver1

crpntr133,
the idea was to not use lights - I wanted to see what the Sony HC3 was capable of in a low light situation + I wanted to practice using the manual controls that are now available to me.
NAIBDiver1

Been there and done that. For the most part, no lights work well, as least for me.

CheddarChick,
Obviously you watched the other clip "Night of the Eel". No, I don't really think the light helped the eel. Moray eels have very poor eyesight.

The DM told us before the night dive that there was a good chance of seeing eels feeding. I was surprised to see how true that was. We actually saw three different eels feeding during that dive.

Thanks for looking !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom