Sony rx100 vs canon s110

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutbill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in a uw camera set up something very compact that can fit in a shirt pocket while on land, at first I was in love with the sony rx100, all the mega pixels etc... But when I consider I like to mostly shoot macro and close shots, it was suggested to me that the canon has a much better focus speed, especially considering macro shooting.

I have been shooting a sealife dc1400 for about a year and half, and want to upgrade to a cameras that is easier to shoot in manual and that is capable in shooting in raw, but economical and not too much equipment to pack.

Any help would be great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I went from a SeaLife to the Canon S100, and was very happy with it. It shoots nice macro, especially if you get an accessory wet macro lens. You can see some of my better pics by clicking on my smugmug link below. A big sensor is more of an advantage for wide angle than macro, so if you like macro (as I do), you will probably be very happy with a Canon compact. IMHO and many others, the Canon compacts (i.e., S100, S110, G15, etc) are the best!

Canon shoots reasonable 'macro' straight out of the box. True macro needs an extra lense.

The RX100 IMO is the better camera- again once you've added the macro lense.

Both are amazing cameras and can produce fantastic shots.

Canon shoots reasonable 'macro' straight out of the box. True macro needs an extra lense.

The RX100 IMO is the better camera- again once you've added the macro lense.

Both are amazing cameras and can produce fantastic shots.

That is what I was originally thinking but I have been told the focus speed of the rx100 is very slow and not very good for macro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I would agree; the Canon s110 is a better macro camera, also i would consider the Olympus XZ-2, as it has a bigger sensor, much better lens and faster processor than the canon; but less housing choices...

www.uwphotographyguide.com/sony-rx100-review
Sony-RX100-underwater-photo-shrimp.jpg

Sony RX100 in Recsea housing, with strobe at F7, 1/250, ISO 200

It really depends on your definition of 'macro'. A boxer shrimp like this may fit the OP's definition of 'macro' however if you're wanting even smaller, more detailed shots, then you need extra lenses. I believe this photo was cropped however the quality of the camera (and photographer) allows this without reducing the effectiveness of the picture.

Manual focus helps sometimes with cluttered backgrounds/ low light where auto-focus can be a problem.

Lol, OK, I will see your banded coral cleaner shrimp and raise you an opalescent nudibranch!

Canon S100 in RecSea Housing, ISO 100, f7.1, 1/320. Double strobes, accessory flip macro lens.

(Arrgh, this photo is majorly compressed, I don't know how to upload a high rez version here.)

IMG_9727 opalescent.jpg

Wow! Great pictures, and a lot to think about. On top of adding the olympus to the mix, i just found out there are some great deals on a canon g15 with Fantasea housings.
So instead of narrowing between the rx-100 and the s110, we have the xz-2 and the g15 to compare...

The Fantasea G15 Housing doesn't accept add on lenses very well. They have an adapter, but it is funky, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom