Soon to be first time snorkel'er *nervous* need some input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heading to the Galapagos in a few months...

background: I a fairly new swimmer learned 2 summers ago, I can float easily, freestyle (stamina sucks), backstroke and can sort of do the eggbeater kick for short bursts.

So on our cruise there will be tons of open (some deep) water snorkeling chances and I really want to do it. I have practiced and I am OK with breathing out of the snorkel, the one main thing that concerns me is when I want to take a break or maybe get water out of the snorkel or mask and I want to come upright/vertical for a few minutes, will the combination of a snorkel vest and wet suit (both supplied by cruise ship) be enough to keep me upright? Or will I need to tread water to stay upright and have my face out of the water?

Other than that concern, I think I am OK with it.

Anyhow feedback would be appreciated. But to be honest it does make me nervous in that scenario (feet not being able to touch ground).

One of the WORST MISTAKES a new snorkeler can make, is trying to tread water or be vertical on the surface, so rest. Actual resting is best when flat horizontal, and is effortless....going vertical without lots of flotation, means a great deal of work to keep your head out of the water....what you need to do, is to learn how to stop swimming and how to rest flat horizontal, breathing through the snorkel....

While a low end cruise operation might be happy to see you going vertical with a life vest on, anyone that would like to see you actually get competent at snorkeling..and some day top be able to swim down 6 feet, or 12 feet, or even 20 feet--is going to want you to get the right reflexes on how you rest. If you LEARN to snorkel going vertical alot, some day when you try doing a drop down 10 feet or a little more, without the life vest---you would be highly likely to get tired at some point, and then freak out that you can't rest vertical.... You do need to learn this horizontal... It's not about what you think will be easy..it's about what is ACTUALLY EASY :)

Best case scenario, find a freedive instructor and pay for one pool session. Tell them what you want. Let them invent a hour long class for you.

Also, as others have said, a wetsuit and a puff of air into vest will turn you into a cork. You will not sink no matter what position you are in.
That makes me feel a lot better.

The mask from Amazon gets a little water in it but nothing that bothers me and I used it quite a bit to get used to the breathing.

As for body type 5'6 150 lbs muscular legs which sink so I float very oddly :wink: when on my back.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

One of the WORST MISTAKES a new snorkeler can make, is trying to tread water or be vertical on the surface, so rest. Actual resting is best when flat horizontal, and is effortless....going vertical without lots of flotation, means a great deal of work to keep your head out of the water....what you need to do, is to learn how to stop swimming and how to rest flat horizontal, breathing through the snorkel....

While a low end cruise operation might be happy to see you going vertical with a life vest on, anyone that would like to see you actually get competent at snorkeling..and some day top be able to swim down 6 feet, or 12 feet, or even 20 feet--is going to want you to get the right reflexes on how you rest. If you LEARN to snorkel going vertical alot, some day when you try doing a drop down 10 feet or a little more, without the life vest---you would be highly likely to get tired at some point, and then freak out that you can't rest vertical.... You do need to learn this horizontal... It's not about what you think will be easy..it's about what is ACTUALLY EASY :)

Best case scenario, find a freedive instructor and pay for one pool session. Tell them what you want. Let them invent a hour long class for you.

I work as an engineer so I tend to overthink everything... made learning how to swim very difficult, instructor told me less thinking more doing... For some reason I think I have to get vertical, take off mask and snorkel to rest and breathe, I simply do not know any better as I have never done it before. Nothing will take the fear out of doing this for the first time but I hope to walk away from this experience with a lot of lessons learned and of course seeing some cool stuff to get the confidence up. Barring any crazy life changing thing next year, we plan on going to the Great Barrier Reef late 2015 so I want to gain that confidence.

That makes me feel a lot better.

The mask from Amazon gets a little water in it but nothing that bothers me and I used it quite a bit to get used to the breathing.

As for body type 5'6 150 lbs muscular legs which sink so I float very oddly :wink: when on my back.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

I work as an engineer so I tend to overthink everything... made learning how to swim very difficult, instructor told me less thinking more doing... For some reason I think I have to get vertical, take off mask and snorkel to rest and breathe, I simply do not know any better as I have never done it before. Nothing will take the fear out of doing this for the first time but I hope to walk away from this experience with a lot of lessons learned and of course seeing some cool stuff to get the confidence up. Barring any crazy life changing thing next year, we plan on going to the Great Barrier Reef late 2015 so I want to gain that confidence.

I get this....and it suggests that the smart thing an engineer like yourself would do, is spend enough hours snorkeling in a pool between now and then ( without a flotation vest or device), for you to analyze every part of the snorkel stroke( kicks) and figure out efficiency in the water....and to get so you felt you could snorkel for 8 hours straight if you needed to. Done correctly, snorkeling is absolutely effortless.

Sure people on cruise ships jump in with life vests all the time for snorkel sessions...but it is the WORST form of acquaintance with a really awesome sport....you really will enjoy it much more on your vacation, if yu are doing everything right when you get there--as opposed to the life vest wearing tourists that really will never feel what snorkeling is truly about...

Last edited:
Speaking of the tourists, avoid the crowds, especially the kicking screaming kids. Float off the periphery of the area, not too far from the boat, but away from the splashing and the noise. Stay still and let the fish come to you. Don't chase them, you won't catch them. The fish will show up and start feeding if you are just floating still on the surface and do not appear to be a threat. It is a great way to relax and really enjoy the underwater world.

Proper technique can only come after I get over the initial fear that is why I will wear whatever gear I can to help me feel comfortable, there will be 2 snorkeling chances a day on this cruise and there will not be a lot of people, ship only holds 98, Galapagos, the Ecuadoran government restricts how many visitors and ship size around the islands, so hopefully crowding should not an issue. So I should get ample time to try out different things once I overcome the initial fear. Heck just thinking abut jumping into open water makes me anxious...

Anyhow thanks everyone for the input it seems like floating vertically when needed should not be an issue and most importantly, I need to relax and enjoy.

I went snorkeling in Galapagos last summer. Wonderful experience!

All good advice above. But one thing surprised me: even being from Norway, the water is cold! I brought my own 5/4mm wetsuit, mask, shoes, hood and gloves and was still freezing.. The boat supplied only 3mm suits for the guests, so the others were even colder.

So if you have the opportunity: bring a warm suit, so you can spend more time with the sea lions, penguins, turtles and sharks :)

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

By the way - here is a video from my trip to galapagos:

http://vimeo.com/75117866

Sendt fra min iPhone

I went snorkeling in Galapagos last summer. Wonderful experience!

All good advice above. But one thing surprised me: even being from Norway, the water is cold! I brought my own 5/4mm wetsuit, mask, shoes, hood and gloves and was still freezing.. The boat supplied only 3mm suits for the guests, so the others were even colder.

So if you have the opportunity: bring a warm suit, so you can spend more time with the sea lions, penguins, turtles and sharks :)

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

By the way - here is a video from my trip to galapagos:

Galapagos 2013 on Vimeo

Sendt fra min iPhone

I love your country!!! Was in the Arctic Scandinavia last year, drove through and visited Tromso. Northern Lights trip #2. Yeah the Pacific can be cold, but my nervousness won't have me worrying about the cold. I will checkout your video for sure, thanks for sharing!

It's going to be fun, just try to relax. Indeed use a wetsuit. The water will be cold and as a beginner it will help you floating. It indeed will make doing deep dives difficult, but as a beginner I wouldn't even do that. Stay horizontal for snorkelling and be relaxed . The less you move, the best change you have the sealife will come close instead of you having to "chase" it and a wetsuit will help you with this.

I would try to practice as much as possible in a swimming pool before you go. stick your head underwater and learn how to get the water out (blowing hard) without to have to take the snorkel out of your mouth. Do the same with the mask. Get some water in and learn how to get it out. (Look forward, Press with both your index fingers on the top of your mask and with the thumbs on the bottom of your mask. move the mask a little forward with your thumbs, so the water can leak out at the bottom). The more you practice the less you have to worry about this on your actual snorkelling trip and can focus on the sealife.

Ps: before jumping in the water: spit in your mask and clean the glass with this. Rinse it afterwards. This will prevent your mask from foggin up.

Have fun

Not the best destination for a beginner. Lots of strong currents and most is deep water stuff. The best thing I can tell you is RELAX! Remember if you get scared or tired simply stop and float on your back & rest. This will help you "slow down". Snorkeling is a slow motion sport, the slower you go, the slower you breath, the slower you tire yourself out and the more you'll see. Next time get off the cruise ship & spend some time on the islands themselves. Bring you're own gear and ask the locals where the "nice but soft" spots are to go rather than being herded like a goat to the typical "tourist spot". Swim with a partner and remember to have fun.

Hi Rob
No don't sweat at all, I run a snorkeling safari company almost all my clients are newbies. Once you're in the water and see the life down there, you'll forget about everything, just relax and breath. My best advice is make sure your gear is comfortable and perhaps just get used to breathing underwater in the pool or something. And re your concern about being upright, you don't even need to worry about it, just tread water when you're upright and you'll be fine, when looking down, just drift vertical. Deep, slow inhalations also help improve your buoyancy

I put some "snorkelling like a pro tips" on our blog - hopefully will help a bit too

Enjoy and welcome to an addictive pastime :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom