Soon to join the bubbleless world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I have no information about this thread so I am unable to make any comment. I would go through it and would definitely post my experiences. I feel great to become a part of it.

Yes, I am loving my CCR experience thus far. One thing you said raised some concern with me. You appear to have indicated that you made your selection from only those units offered by your go-to LDS. Your needs my be matched perfectly by the unit you selected, but there are many more units out there with outstanding reputations. Perhaps you should take a step back and conduct further research. I will be purchasing my first unit soon and it looks like it will be from a source other than very good friends who own local LDS's. CCR selection is a highly personal choice. It you elect to go in another direction, they will under understand. If they don't, that would speak very poorly of their professionalism and friendship to you...

Yes, I am loving my CCR experience thus far. One thing you said raised some concern with me. You appear to have indicated that you made your selection from only those units offered by your go-to LDS. Your needs my be matched perfectly by the unit you selected, but there are many more units out there with outstanding reputations. Perhaps you should take a step back and conduct further research. I will be purchasing my first unit soon and it looks like it will be from a source other than very good friends who own local LDS's. CCR selection is a highly personal choice. It you elect to go in another direction, they will under understand. If they don't, that would speak very poorly of their professionalism and friendship to you...

My main plan for the Hollis is cave diving, to extend bottom time (not necessarily deeper penetration) & eventual trimix. The Hollis is well suited for both applications with excellent Work of breathing. I did do research on the unit & found it to be what I would need. My instructor (technical) has tried out nearly every model of rebreather out there & so far has found the Poseidon & the Hollis to be the best match for the type of diving we do. He has never steered me wrong & will not knowingly do so. This is a man who would not pass me in my Full Cave until he was absolutely certain I could handle it (took me 2yrs & 5-6 attempts to get through it), I know he will be the same about this. Regardless of the unit he teaches, he has a deep distrust of them, which causes him to ultra sensitive to any changes in the unit. He instills that same awareness in his students before he will pass them.

My main plan for the Hollis is cave diving....

[my instructor] has a deep distrust of them, which causes him to ultra sensitive to any changes in the unit. He instills that same awareness in his students before he will pass them.

Tammy: You will have great fun in caves with CCR... and will likely get to the point at which OC seems a poor choice for the vast majority of overhead adventures (all that useful gas just sitting on the ceiling!). Enjoy.

However, one small point... syntax really, but perhaps pointing to a slightly different philosophical outlook. I believe to pick a CCR from all those on offer and then have a deep mistrust of them it is an odd way to approach CCR diving. I'll be the first to admit that there are several CCRs on the market I do not trust and which I will not dive... BUT having asked and found the right answers to a few questions, one arrives at a unit (maybe two or three) that is/are trustworthy, and robust. Of course no bit of kit is fool-proof and 100 percent reliable but a few are good enough to "trust." Those are the ones to try and buy.

What I do not trust is the operator. CCRs are pretty cool and a few of them are bloody reliable. However, people make mistakes and forget **** intended to keep 'em safe. Most of all:
Use a checklist.
Never rush CCR prep.
Use a checklist.
Never trust another to prep your unit or judge its dive-worthiness (including me).
Use a check list... for both assembly AND pre-dive checks.
And if ANYTHING does not pass the pre-dive check, don't dive.

Most of all:
Use a checklist.
Never rush CCR prep.
Use a checklist.
Never trust another to prep your unit or judge its dive-worthiness (including me).
Use a check list... for both assembly AND pre-dive checks.
And if ANYTHING does not pass the pre-dive check, don't dive.

Excellent advice!

Good luck with your rebreather training. I completed my air deco class a few months ago. Also just got back from a cave diving trip a few days ago. Starting with the rebreather is definitely a change in mindset and very humbling. But, as others have said, once you have made the transition, you will have a very hard time going back to OC as the rebreather feels so good. I absolutely LOVE my rebreather. There are so many options if there are issues that I am even more comfortable in my cave dives. It also opens up so much more to the cave diving experience. I enjoy the fact that you can hear the cave creak and crack as you swim. Its like its talking to you. Spooky at first, but very cool once you get used to it.

Enjoy the experience and the ride!

Dive Safe!

Minimal loop volume is key, as other people pointed out. The other neat piece of advice someone gave me was to watch the little particles in the water going past your mask to help nip small movements up or down in the water column in the bud by blowing gas out your nose or adding some to your wing.

Have fun, personally, I didnt find the switch from OC to SCR that difficult. In fact, I barely noticed it. Just annoying when diving saw tooth profiles. I take my Meg class in around a month, I've already unlearned OC buoyancy, so I can concentrate on unit specific training.

Just got my unit yesterday. Already starting to learn assembly, disassembly, surface testing & maintenance & reading the manual. Because of the holidays & such, it will be a little while before I can get it into the water, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing so far! I believe I will be very pleased with this unit.

Back
Top Bottom