Sore jaw 48 jours after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limoges Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wet diving 2 days ago, and came out of the water with a sore jaw. It was most-likely because I bit down too hard on the mouthpiece. The other times this happened, it went away fairly quickly (1-2 hours).

This time, it has lasted more than 48 hours, and is only slowly getting better. I am having difficulty opening my mouth - i can open it about half-way only.

Does anyone have experience on this?

I have had this also happen after doing a couple dives and holding the reg tight in my mouth since, I barely bite on it at all just let rest in there. The reason it's taking longer to heal is probably do to the tightness in the muscle's and very difficult to just let it relax since you need to eat etc.. I am not doctor by any means so ir you feel it warrants a visit it can't hurt.

NSAIDs, e.g., ibuprofen, might be helpful for the pain and inflammation.
Definitely go see a doctor or dentist if the pain gets worse or the range of jaw motion diminishes.

This is one of those cases in which you should address the primary issue: biting down too hard and for too long on your mouthpiece while diving.
Why is this happening? Are you nervous? Are you uncomfortable in the water? Is your mouthpiece ill-fitting?

If you own your own reg setup, you have the option of replacing the mouthpiece.
Some people like the moldable Sea-cure mouthpiece.
Others find that the Aqualung Comfo-bite mouthpiece does the trick. I have Comfo-bites on all of my regs.

Hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom