South Florida - What do you wear when you dive?

What do you wear to dive 1st week of March?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I am goin' for Akona 3mm Fullsuit with 5mm gloves and 5mm hood - good enough? Come on, people, more votes! :)

I used a 3mm Full Akona when I was down in November...and I'll be using the same last week of March.

(did my cert dives in a quarry at 72 degrees in it also)

You'll be FINE!

The gloves don't have to be that thick unless you really get chilled easily. The thick hood might be overkill also unless you're going deep and doing a long deco hang.

Well, this time of year I am diving with a 1mm hooded vest under a 3mm farmer jane, under 3mm long-sleeved shortie, 5 mm booties & reef gloves- not enough protection for me- I still get way too cold, way too fast but then again, I'm allergic to cold!

Anything below 75 and I am wearing a drysuit and I live in NY, but am originally from Florida. Especially in the winter air. If it's too cold for my 3mm full, I go straight for the drysuit unless it's 90 degrees outside. Last year I was in the Keys and water temps were about 73 and I froze in a 3mm full with a 6mm hood and reef gloves. We didn't stay down for more than 40 minutes. I suggest a 7mil without the hood or gloves for the springs and they are 72 yr round. If you like to maximize your time underwater, then wear more insulation. If travelling to Fl to do a 40 minute dive in 50 feet of water is okay, then wear the 3mil. Ofcourse, many factors can change my opinion like current, depth, wind, rain and the like. I personally like about an hour of bottom time in shallower water, especially if I am paying for a boat trip and travelling to get there.

EVERYBODY will generally be a little different but I think most people get colder than they typically admit or remember. We are all human after all. Don't forget, if the water doesn't kill you, a windy SI might finish the job so bring a nice hooded sweatshirt and get dry between dives, if possible. 3 years ago my wife and I were in Miami and a winter storm hit with temps around 20 degrees and less adding the wind. That was January. Boat diving is cool in the winter, even in S. Fl. Just some thoughts...Have fun!!

Charlie99:
So when does Peter Shultz break out the drysuit?? About 77F ??

Peter wears a drysuit between November 15th and May 15th regardless of the water temp.

Hey, thanks guys, I am goin' for 3mm full suit! About 6 more days to go to South FL!

From mid November to mid May wear a 5mm full suit with a 7mm hood and still get chilled. Usually do a 100ft on 1st dive and on shallow 2nd dive am down for a good hour. During summer wear a 3mm full suit w/o hood. Next winter am planning on going dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom