South Padre Island Clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let me know what you think of Deep Six. I ran across their website and was curious what they were like. What are they charging you?

thanks

Layne

I had originally planned a Clipper trip with Deep 6 for Jan 18/ 19 but (1) the weather did not cooperate and (2) Deep 6 had some boat (I understand, surprise) maintenance required (he quickly organised alternative vessels for us- which illustrates a v professional approach). The upshot is that the weather precluded the trip and I will say that during my planning phase I found Deep 6 to be very responsive, very flexible, enthusiastic to work with me and well priced- I was very pleased with the experience, albeit we could not dive with them in the end. I will be looking to revisit the trip with Deep 6 later this year- for now we have the Apr 18/ 19 trip planned with Am Diving and I have found them to be very professional, responsive and accommodating as well.

I think KV will post a trip report on this weekend's Clipper trip, assuming the weather cooperates and we go (I am far too bone idle to do a report, one of my many failings). Hope that helps, for what its worth. Best P.

Please let me know what you think of Deep Six. I ran across their website and was curious what they were like. What are they charging you?

thanks

Layne

The owner (John Kamp) is a CHUM charter member so we may be getting much better pricing than the general public. He is a PADI instructor and a 100 ton captain (he'll also be serving as Spree captain this year).

The boat was having engine problems over the winter, owner tried repairing a few times then finally dry docked it and went for a complete overhaul.

OK, I guess I will stick with American Diving then. I check Deep Six's website but they don't list their fees.

thanks anyway.

Layne

OK, I guess I will stick with American Diving then. I check Deep Six's website but they don't list their fees.

thanks anyway.

Layne

If you drop John at Deep Six an e-mail he is always helpful on getting you the info. you need.....I know its a little extra effort but will offer you an option.

we did the Clipper on April 13. 6ft seas... a lot of people sick, not me of course :). Good News is the growth on the clipper was amazing. We saw a low of Snappers, sheep head, triggers blennies and Altanic spades. There is a lot fo soft corals starting to spring up. I saw two butterfly fish and a sargent major. There was a couple or Ramorhas the safty stop.

Here's some pictures for our trip. we had about 20 ft of vis due to all water rushing out of the Mississippi river. We sat and watched the blue water push the green water way in about 20 minutes. The photos in the water we from one of the other divers in our group. 10 minutes into the first dive my camera flooded.

Texas Clipper 4-13-08 - a set on Flickr
All Good things...... - a set on Flickr

This weekend's Clipper trip canceled. I hate the Gulf.

This weekend's Clipper trip canceled. I hate the Gulf.

How long of a notice are they giving before they cancel? I have not really been following a lot of the threads about the Clipper but since I am thinking about planning a few dive and ride trips down that away this summer and fall I may try and get a dive in on the Clipper. Just wondering if they will call before or after I leave my house for the 8 hour drive.

It would depend on the conditions, but when I was there in February they called the trip 2 days before the trip. Of course we knew the trip was iffy at best for that time of year, but that is when I was going to be in South Texas.

Back
Top Bottom