South Padre Island Clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long of a notice are they giving before they cancel? I have not really been following a lot of the threads about the Clipper but since I am thinking about planning a few dive and ride trips down that away this summer and fall I may try and get a dive in on the Clipper. Just wondering if they will call before or after I leave my house for the 8 hour drive.

K-valves last Sat. trek got canceled....they called and let him know in plenty of time to avoid the drive down he told me.

How long of a notice are they giving before they cancel? I have not really been following a lot of the threads about the Clipper but since I am thinking about planning a few dive and ride trips down that away this summer and fall I may try and get a dive in on the Clipper. Just wondering if they will call before or after I leave my house for the 8 hour drive.

I found both Deep 6 and Am Diving to be very cognisant of our needs for a go/ no-go decision early enough for us not to be 1/2 way there before the call is made. In our case, we have a 6 hour drive so we elected to go with the call being made the morning of day before the dive. It has worked well so far- it has been cancelled with plenty of notice, twice! Blast that weather.

Well, the good news about the "no trip" to the Clipper last weekend is that the trip report is easy to write! :wink:

Well, the good news about the "no trip" to the Clipper last weekend is that the trip report is easy to write! :wink:

................:rofl3: :D

Yeah, those guys know most of us are driving 6 to 10 hours to get there and try to let us know as early as possible.

They called us to let us know the seas were going to be bad a few days in advanced. they tried to cancel, but the people I was with felt they could handle the 6ft seas. Being in the navy for eight years, I knew I'd be ok. The other 7 divers regreted not heeding their warning.

:14: Hello all,
I'm interested in heading down to South Padre Island during Halloween weekend for the South Padre International Music Festival and because the weather is so perfect during that time. South Padre just sunk the Clipper last year and I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about it. Has anyone gone or know of anyone who has? What is it like?

Thanks for your help!

I went to the Festival last year. Pretty good time. It's kinda like SXSW in Austin...they use existing venues and the festival is island wide. The weather WAS perfect last year. I remember we were in the water at 2am every night. Only because I was working and that was "quittin' time". I'd be happy to jump on board with a few if anyone wants to organize a trip that time o' year. Let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom