Southern Georgian Bay Shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nexus

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could help me identify the location of a wreck in Georgian Bay. The wreck is the Marquette and is reported to be on the north east shore of Hope Island

1. Does anyone know the latitude and longitude of this wreck?
2. Would this be a suitable site to snorkel on?
3. Are there any wrecks in the southern Georgian Bay area that would be suitable for snorkeling?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Marquette is at N 44 54.678 / W 80 09.412 and as of last Thursday marked with a yellow jug. Line to the jug is strong enough to tie on to. As for snorkelling it. It's about 30 feet to the bottom (I actually had 33 max depth on my computer inside the hull (no deck, no overhead) as it's settled into the bottom a bit. We could make out the wreck from the surface, vis was about 30 to 40 feet.

About 1/2 mile North is the Lottie Wolf, more broken up, but only 18 feet. Location is N 44 55.032 / W 80 09.770 and last marked with a small white jug.

On the West side of Hope there is the Michigan. I have not been able to locate and dive yet. The lat/long I had was in 50 feet of water (she's supposed to be in 15), with waves breaking over the rocks 200 to 300 feet away. Didn't see a jug. And on the West side of Christian Island is the Mapledawn. I haven't located or dove her yet either. Approaching the co-ordinates I had, I could see a jug well in from where it shoaled to 15 feet and I was unwilling to chance the boat any further. It's a long swim back across the bay without a boat.

Take note that Hope Island, Beckwith and Christian Islands are all Native lands and you may be required to pay a fee to go ashore (or perhaps I should say pay if you get caught ashore). I was with a group that had reserved a shore site for an evening picnic and campfire at a cost of $10 per boat.

Oops, forgot to add the Mary Ward. Lies on the Mary Ward Shoals East of Collingwood, near Craigleith.

Thanks for the help.

I posted where you suggested and got an immediate response to what I was looking for.

Thanks Groubdhog246

That is exactly the info I was looking for. I have a cruising sailboat in Penetanguishene and plan to sail to the Marquette, and possibly the Lottie Wolf, in about 2 weeks

nexus:
Thanks for the help.

I posted where you suggested and got an immediate response to what I was looking for.

Welcome to SB, see how well it works.
David

Have you tried our Search feautre? I'm on Utila Island Honduras this week, enjoying a great dive trip, but wanted to log on long enough to welcome new members. Glad you're with us here...

don :cowboy:

nexus:
Thanks Groundhog246

That is exactly the info I was looking for. I have a cruising sailboat in Penetanguishene and plan to sail to the Marquette, and possibly the Lottie Wolf, in about 2 weeks

Cool. We sail a Tanzer 26 out of Meaford. Built and installed a new ladder this season (pic attached) to make it easier and safer to exit. As mentioned the line onthe Marquette is large, well secured and in good shape to tie into. If you haven't tied onto moorings much, take a line, secure one end to a bow cleat, run it through the loop on the mooring rope and then back to a cleat. Maintians the scope and makes it easy to unhook. Last time we dove, the line on the Lottie Wolf was borderline to tie into. It was a small rope, tied to a metal eye on the wreck. We chose to anchor away from the wreck and the line as a guide only. If you've got an inflateable and winds are suitable, you might be able to find the Michigan, I wouldn't (didn't) try searching with a sailboat or even a largish power. The lat/long I have is N 44 54.967 / W 80 12.250, but as mentioned it's deeper than the indicated 15 feet of the wreck and we did not see a marker of any kind. If you want to try, I'd recommend anchoring South of Hope and dinghy over.

Note that all the lat/long listed are in decimal (dd mm.mm) format no degrees, minutes, seconds (dd mm ss).

Groundhog246

We had our boat in Meaford for 5 years (1998-2002) in slip B14. We have and Edel 665. We moved the boat to Penetanguishene because many of the destinations I wanted are closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom