SP S600 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

66gt350

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the S600 regulator. But after talking to my LDS, they say that they were having problems with the knob getting busted off.

Is this a problem with the regulator? Or is the LDS full of BS?

thanks
Rob

I've never heard of such a thing. Wife & I have had no problems with ours. And no such reports on this board (but there is a good bit of criticism of price & cold water freeze ups).

Thanks,

My decision was down to between the S600 and the Apeks ATX200, until I found out the only LDS here in town does not Service the Apeks regulators. I currently have an older regulator, the D350, and have dove in colder water, and never had a problem.

Rob

The knob on the S600 is retained by a plastic clip inside the reg body, but its a thick clip and you'd have to work pretty hard to break it.

I think this is dive-shop nonsense; I've had no trouble with my S600. The only complaint I have with the reg is that it breathes VERY dry (as in cotton-mouth dry) due to it having all plastic parts inside - nothing for exhaled moisture to condense on and then be re-vaporized by the incoming air charge.

Me and about 8 of my friends have the 600 never had a problem. I think it is the best reg for the money made. My 3 friends had theres for over 3 years now. mind is new. Also with scubapro you never have to pay for parts, other reg service parts will run youlike $50. I think if there was an issue they would of worked it out years ago that reg has been around forever and is standard of excelence.

I've heard there was some issues with SP new reg the X650. Something about the housing (breaking?). Teething problems?

oharag

is nice in that it has anti-engraving, and as such you can often go many years between real rebuilds. Take it apart, clean it, replace the O-rings, put it back together and readjust - most of the time you won't need a new seat.

I can rebuild one for about 50 cents worth of O-rings if the seat doesn't need replacing, and the kits are under $15 even if you're buying them.

66gt350 once bubbled...
I currently have an older regulator, the D350, and have dove in colder water, and never had a problem.

I am assuming you must have a Mk 10 D350. If so, my advice would be to have it upgraded to a D400 at the next annual service and forget about buying a new reg.

A Mk 25 S600 will win you style points and grant you some "look what I can afford" bonus points but it will not breathe any better than a Mk 10 D400. In my opinion the D400 is actually much smoother from a subjective standpoint and gives up nothing in terms of raw performance. The Mk 25 is actually a step backward from the Mk 10 in terms of relaibility and ease of maintainence. The Mk 25 does offer greater airflow, but this is a moot point as the Mk 10 already delivers more than enough air, even for deep diving. If you feel the need you can make up some of this difference in airflow by converting it to a Mk 10 Plus with the same concave seat and rounded sealing edge design used on the Mk 25. (without the unreliable bushings or the freeze problems.)

The D400 uses a pilot valve with the result that their is very little spring pressure on the seat and consequently they require very little maintainence from year to year. The D400 also breathes exceptionally well in any position without requiring an adjustment to prevent a freeflow.

If you are still set on trading in your D350 for an S600, then forget what I said and let me know what you want for the no good piece of junk. :)

oharag once bubbled...
I've heard there was some issues with SP new reg the X650. Something about the housing (breaking?). Teething problems?

The issue with the housing (it wasn't breaking...) is supposedly resolved. See the following thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t36198/s.html
:snorkel:ScubaRon

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

If you are still set on trading in your D350 for an S600, then forget what I said and let me know what you want for the no good piece of junk. :)

Well, actually the regulator isn't for me. I'm happy with my current setup. It's for my SWMBO, who is currently getting certified.

Back
Top Bottom