Spare Air - Sorry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the U/W photographer, does a pony on a sling get in the way of using the camera U/W? Would back mounted pony be more practical?

Brurhan, I have both a 13 back mounted and a 30 slung. I prefer the 13 back mounted when I use my camera. I realize it has a few trade offs compared to the slung bottle, but it works better for me and am willing to accept those trade offs. If I have a deep & challenging dive, I skip the camera and use the slung 30. Simply put, not all dives require the same equipment, just be aware of the limits of the gear you are using.

From a roadracer's perspective there just isn't anything that happens fast enough in diving to stress you out beyond your ability to think it out.

You might die from lack of air because there's no way to solve the problem but you're gonna have plenty of time to think about solving it.

If only this was true. But it isn't.

Panic is often cited as a contributory factor in a majority of scuba accidents and fatalities. Have a look at the A&I and Lessons Learned forums. Read the DAN and BSAC accident reports...

You have confused two issues here: Speed of Reaction and Panic.

Speed of reaction is dictated by quality of training and whether problem solving needs to occur. Speed of reaction is critically important in any scenario where a diver has no access to air.

Panic is a psychological factor. It stems from a fear of death and serves to dramatically reduce an individual's ability to rationalise a situation. Uncontrolled panic will lead to instinctive 'fight or flight' reactions that, in scuba diving, are contrary to the required reaction (i.e. bolting to the surface, holding breath and/or

If you're used to dealing with someone taking out your front end in turn 10 where decisions need to be made in fractions of a second it's hard to fathom how someone can get too worked up about delaying an escape plan while deploying a little yellow bottle!

Different scenarios - different 'stressors'.

Reaction speed in motorsport relies (as I have stated) on the elimination of problem solving - coupled with the development of successful outcome instincts. No problem solving occurs when a decision is made in a split second.

Also...with the scuba scenario, we aren't talking about a split-second delay. We are talking about many seconds. We are talking about many options and the need for problem solving.

:argument:

One side will never convince the other....

Have a good holiday season and to all a good night. :)

:xmastree:

Very true, however the logical arguments for and against that you and others articulate are valuable to divers wanting to make an informed decision, rather than succumbing to either marketing scheme or herd mentality.

Wanna Bet! Let's drop to 130' and cut both the air to our main tank and I will be watching you race for the surface with your SA while I am slowly asending with my 23cf.

Mabye that was too much. Let's drop to 60' and cut both the air to our main tank and I will be watching you rush for the surface without a safety stop with your SA while I am slowly ascending with my 23cf.

If was still too much. Let's drop to 30' and cut both the air to our main tank and I will be watching you wondering how many breathe you have left with your SA while I am enjoying the scenery.

Get the right size bail out bottle for the right profile.

For those that insist on SA no matter what. For every ATM. Get a SA. So if you are diving with me - which is 130' down. Get 5 SA bottle. Actually get 6 SA bottle. You will be more balance (3 on each side). :rofl3:

The only logical arguement for carrying a spare air seems to be "some air is better than none".

It's hardly persuasive...

Q. Next week, I am going to abseil down a 100ft cliff. What length rope should I chose? 100ft or 50ft or 25ft?

A. 25ft. Any rope is better than none....

Q. I am going to drive 250km. How much gas should I put in my car? Full Tank, Half Tank or Quarter tank?

A. Quarter Tank. Any gas is better than none....

Wanna Bet! Let's drop to 130' and cut both the air to our main tank and I will be watching you race for the surface with your SA while I am slowly asending with my 23cf.

Maybe that was too much. Let's drop to 60' and cut both the air to our main tank and I will be watching you rush for the surface without a safety stop with your SA while I am slowly ascending with my 23cf.

If was still too much. Let's drop to 30' and cut both the air to our main tank and I will be watching you wondering how many breathe you have left with your SA while I am enjoying the scenery.

Give me a break! First a "safety stop" isn't compulsory, but recommended. Only one breath of air is required to surface from 130' in open ocean. I've done many from deeper than that without hurrying. I might add, without a spare air or a pony...

Get the right size bail out bottle for the right profile.
For those that insist on SA no matter what. For every ATM. Get a SA. So if you are diving with me - which is 130' down. Get 5 SA bottle. Actually get 6 SA bottle. You will be more balance (3 on each side). :rofl3: [QUOTE/]

130' down... Please. :shakehead:

Only one breath of air is required to surface from 130' in open ocean. I've done many from deeper than that without hurrying without a spare air or a pony....

Given your level of training and experience, I don't think that this is generally a solid arguement for spare air.

You are substantiating my earlier point that Spare Air isn't required for most recreational dives above 18m, because CESA is an easy option. And for those deeper dives where a CESA is more challenging (for the 'average' diver), then it ceases to provide sufficient air for the complete ascent.

I don't give advice based on what I can do.... I try and generalise issues so that they are applicable for all levels of diver.

Give me a break! First a "safety stop" isn't compulsory, but recommended.

And yet a Spare Air doesn't give you the option of following those dive industry recommended safe diving practices...?

And people call it a 'safety device? :idk:

The only logical arguement for carrying a spare air seems to be "some air is better than none".

It's hardly persuasive...

You use the correct tool for the job. What's so hard about that?

Q. Next week, I am going to abseil down a 100ft cliff. What length rope should I chose? 100ft or 50ft or 25ft?

A. 25ft. Any rope is better than none....

More than 100' if it's available, you have to anchor the rope. It really depends upon your training. If you have a shorter rope, it's not impossible to get down safely; just re-anchor it on the way down. Climbers have been doing this for centuries.

Q. I am going to drive 250km. How much gas should I put in my car? Full Tank, Half Tank or Quarter tank?

A. Quarter Tank. Any gas is better than none....

Any amount; you stop at a gas station. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom