Spearfisher encounter with Great White of FL east coast.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

featured-greatwhite-spear-620x330.jpg

An image captured from the diver's GoPro video

On May 6, 2014 Jimmy Roseman was spearfishing while scuba diving on Bethel Shoals off Orchid Island, FL. He had just approached the bottom at 80 ft., speargun loaded when a white shark swam over him from behind. He had turned on his GoPro camera which captured what happened. Jimmy was solo at this point but had two dive buddies still on the boat on the surface. You will hear a clicking noise in the early part of the video to which he attributes the shark's teeth coming in contact with his diving tank. The shark proceeds to make close passes on Jimmy who eventually started to push it away with the point of his gun. He also tried to move next to a low profile worm rock ledge for limited cover.

Continued with more details, video, stills, shark track, etc. at:
White Shark Attacks FL Diver, Another GW Heads For S. Florida? - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Already have one thread in the shark forum discussing this and one in this forum.

I noticed that after I posted, I even did a google search first to try to avoid it. Anyway, there is more content in my post than just the video. We've seen whites off here in recent years, keep your cameras ready, there might be more to see.

Yep. I'm watching Katherine's movements for sure - I want to be there when she comes into my area! :D

At least in Florida waters you can SEE the GWS... in our waters you may not be so lucky! In 45 years of diving here I've only had one encounter... a 14 ft great white swam behind my back while I was buddied up with artist Wyland to film giant sea bass. I don't spear fish (although I have no problem with those who do). Did this diver have fish on a stringer?

The attack must have happened before he turned on his camera, cause it's not in the video, all I see in the video is a curious shark being poked with a spear gun by a scared diver.

You know the one about the pirate with the red shirt? I gotta get a brown wetsuit.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The attack must have happened before he turned on his camera, cause it's not in the video, all I see in the video is a curious shark being poked with a spear gun by a scared diver.

If you look at the link in the related thread, the diver indicates in the text of the story that the shark made contact with him on its inital pass. The diver indicates the GW's teeth hit the scuba tank.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: here's the link............

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/great-white-shark-kept-bay-speargun/

Last edited:
I'd like to see Randy try to feed the GW. Likely to take his head off. That's one shark you don't want to feed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom