TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - November 20-27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Elton John, Zoom Seekers, Crabs, and more
(please scroll down for details)
Busy weekend since I got tix to BOTH Elton John concerts at Dodger Stadium (purchased them 18 months ago) but definitely worth the effort . . .

A QUICK ELTON WORD - GREAT show last night. Elton's career, especially at its height, pretty much coincided with my radio career, so I've always had an affinity for him. Tonight's show will be live-streamed over Disney+ and if you have that, I'd highly recommend watching. It'll certainly be easier and cheaper than going to Dodger Stadium plus you'll have a better view than any of us do. Almost no matter where you are in the stadium, he looks like an ant. They have some huge video screens all around the stage which helps immensely. (And kudos to their camera and lighting crews because the video shots look amazing.) The live-stream starts at 7:55PM Pacific time and probably goes until 11PM. Highly recommended if you're not going to be at Dodger Stadium.

DID YOU MISS ZOOM SEEKERS? - Our speaker was Craig Glepi , one of the founders of the Catalina Marine Society, and he laid out what they do, how they do it (and why), as well as gave some info on how you can help. The group is a combination of certified scientific divers and citizen-science divers so it's a good mix. If you missed Craig's talk, it's up on our YouTube channel here: ZOOM SEEKERS: CRAIG GELPI - CATALINA MARINE SOCIETY.

MERMAID RESCUE - By now, you may have heard the story of the Mermaid Rescue at the Avalon Underwater Park a couple of weeks ago. Short version is that a group of women in mermaid outfits were working on skills when a diver had a serious problem, and they went and rescued him. They were interviewed by Inside Edition last week and it makes for interesting viewing: MERMAID RESCUERS SPEAK OUT.

VACATION TRIPS IN 2023 - Despite our COVID escapades post-Indonesia, we're busy planning out the 2023 travel schedule.I'll try to have some more details in the December newsletter but here's the short version:

• Feb. 6-10 - San Igancio Lagoon for non-diving whale watching/hugging (filling up)
• May 20-27 - Bonaire and Buddy Dive
• July 17-30 - Yap at Manta Ray Bay Resort (home to the Ken Kurtis Wing in the hotel)
• Aug. 19-26 - Isla Mujeres for Whale Sharks, Cenotes, and Cancun Underwater Museum
• November 15-28 (includes Thanksgiving) - Maldives on the Manthiri (almost full)

If I don't already have you on the "interested" list for these trips and you want to go, shoot me an e-mail. There's a lot of fun stuff planned and you don't want to miss out.

WANNA BECOME A CAMPGROUND OWNER? - Here's something you don't see every day (it popped up in my in-box Friday): A chance to become a long-term leaseholder for a beach-front campground over on Catalina. Here's the info: CAMPGROUND FOR LEASE.

CRAB MIGRATION - Christmas Island lies NW of Australia in the Indian Ocean and every year is the place where millions of red crabs migrate from around the island to the ocean to mate. The place is a national park and they've erected barriers to help guide the crabs around and they even have built some bridges over roads so the crabs can go up and over without fear of being crushed. It's an amazing thing to see. 9News in Australia has assembled a gallery of photos showing you how cool this all is. Take a peek: ANNUAL RED CRAB MIGRATION ON CHRISTMAS ISLAND.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, have a Happy Thanksgiving, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom