spearfishing accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For years here the most common incident was boat/surface related- be it hitting prop, the boat or other.

From BSACs figures, last year there were 392 reported "incidents" diving.

The most common of these making up 120 of incidents was DCI.
Boat and surface came second with 80.
"Ascents" 50
Injury/Illness 45

With all the other various causes (technique, equipment etc) being under 20.

The 21m-30m range had the highest number of incidents.

There were other threads analyising these incident reports but no need to repeat that here. I dont know if the USA publishes similar statistics but im will to guess that it will be broadly the same as the BSAC one for causes and relative numbers. Spear fishing would be a small minor cause. As i said, in most places it just isnt popular (it isnt even legal in some places). Ive never seen anyone in the UK doing it and would be amazed if i ever did.

http://www.bsac.org/techserv/increp03/intro.htm if anyone is interested.

Edit:- Id be inclined to believe the statement that "90% of all shark attacks on divers are related to spearfishers".

newyorkauter:
I heard from somewhere that 90% of scuba accidents happen while people are spearfishing.

Does anyone know if a verifiable source for this quote?

Thanks,

Jonathan

newyorkauter@yahoo.com
The question don't make sense.
He hasn't responded to anyone.
His profile is empty.
I wonder if he's just trying to flame spearfishing.
Or maybe he's just new, But I found no intro for him when he signed on. I don't know. Something just don't seem right.
Fred

String:
Spear fishing would be a small minor cause. As i said, in most places it just isnt popular (it isnt even legal in some places). Ive never seen anyone in the UK doing it and would be amazed if i ever did.

Must remember to try getting into Stoney with one soon :11:

In Israel thes are about the correct numbers.
I don't know if exactly 90% but most of the dive related and much more then half.
BUT - over 90% of the fishing related accidents where not of Sport (fisherman) divers but of people who do this for a living.

newyorkauter:
fred,

no I'm not flaming - I'm a journalist trying to get some information on spearfishing.

J
You would most likely find and answer here or at least a lead to where you can find one.
You didn't sound like a diver is what set off the alarms to me.
You might try contacting DAN(divers alert network).
Fred

I will believe freeDiving due to co2 blackout, but not scuba, even in Israel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom