Spearfishing, Broken Finger

What do you do when a diver in the water hands you a loaded speargun onboard?

• Unload the gun by hand on board.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Discharge gun in water to unload it.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Leave the gun as is and secure it onboard.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Shoot the guy handing it to you and say oops.

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sara Smiles

Reaction score
:doctor:
Broke a right index finger tip. Questions:
1-When someone hands you a loaded overpowered gun on board the boat, what should you do?
2-For a break of the first joint how do you set this and what meds are best to take for pain?
3- How long will this take to heal? and can I resume diving with a fracture?
Last year I had a broken ankle and still dove...but the chiropractor told me this is dangerous because a bubble may
form at the site of the break.
It did impair my ability to help my buddy when he got swept away in the current. lol Only one fin.
Any advice is appreciated...since $350 per mo. insurance only allows me an x-ray at the clinic and phone call from the Dr. confirming it is broken.....
, ;-0 :boom: Saras not Smiling Now,

Howdy Sara Smiles:

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Sara Smiles once bubbled...

1-When someone hands you a loaded overpowered gun on board the boat, what should you do?

I would run to the far end of the boat and take cover myself. You might get a more helpful answer from another board member, perhaps in another forum.

2-For a break of the first joint how do you set this and what meds are best to take for pain?

Orthopedic surgeons train for five or more years to learn how to best take care of each particular kind of fracture- there are so many variables. Your description is kinda vague, but breaks in the joints of the hand are often repaired surgically to reduce the risk of permanent loss of range of motion in the joint. The best med to take for pain varies from patient to patient. There is no one "best" medicine.

3- How long will this take to heal? and can I resume diving with a fracture?

How long is a string? Again, it depends on the break, how it is treated, and how quickly you heal. Four to eight weeks isn't unusual healing time for bone fractures. You have asked your doctor, haven't you?

You can read what DAN has to say about bone fractures and diving at:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=140

You can find Scubadoc's take on fractures and diving at:

http://scuba-doc.com/divfract.html

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

BillP once bubbled...

I would run to the far end of the boat and take cover myself. You might get a more helpful answer from another board member, perhaps in another forum.

Bill, I REALLY need to get you out to the rigs! Expeirence helps you get over phobias like that. :wink:

Sarah, diving with a broke finger and hunting with a broke finger are two different things. In over 30 years of handling spearguns I've yet to figure out a method of handing up a loaded gun that doesn't involve pointing it at SOMEONE during the process if the boat has more than dozen inches freeboard. Taking a loaded gun into the water is not problem, but getting out with one is.

BTW to the sperfishing "don't load it in the boat" skeptics, if you don't trust your trigger mechanism enough to give it the light shock of a water entry cocked and be certain it wont fire, WHY do you own the gun in the first place? Not to mention taking it into the water with other people? A gun is good and 100% reliable, or it's trash. No middle ground is possible.

FT

Ouch! I did that once, hiking. My fingertip (under my hipbone) broke my fall, so it was probably not the worst thing. You know, there seem to be an overload of nerve endings in the index fingertip. It looked so bad that Southwest Airlines took pity on me and brought me a cup of ice, but, really, I was just reading the very emotional end of a novel to keep my mind off the pain and that's why the tears...
Figure 6 weeks to healing, and do check with your doctor (mine gave me the x-rays to read, it was so obvious,) but if it has been immobilized, it takes longer to get mobility back. As for the swelling and the color, that was even longer...and the nail...we won't go there. Yuck!

Let it heal 4 to 6 weeks before you dive

Everyone,

Thanks for the advice and support.
Wrapped the finger in an ace bandage around a tooth brush splint - Dr. suggested taping it to the next finger when I spoke to him on the phone. The radiologist suggested othopeadic Dr,
but as you ALL know referrals are difficult to get especially in 10 days time. Great Health Insurance our country does not have...

Ms.Kelper my fingers were soaking in ice water for 50 min (someone elses 40'dive) while I was piloting 35 ft. Catamaran and i immediately took Celebrex an anti inflamatory which immediately reduced the swelling. You are right keeping it immobile is making the finger stiffer. Puttung clothes on is difficult
but thats only a problem if I go in public lol.

Moved Meds up to Lorcet (it helps to be prepared with pain meds and anti-inflamatorys AT ALL TIMES).

The sad part is ....I will leave for Akaska in 10 days to fish for Halibut and Salmon - this i'm not missing. I'll flip the reel and use my left hand.

No diving for 4 weeks?? that should work, cause i sure am not diving in Alaska..... used to 85 degree Florida water. But those lobsters are sure gonna miss me...

This might impair my ability to point out bears in Alaska though---

.....However, I still am able to drive --- because my middle finger works just fine.

Thanks again for sharing.

Sara Smiles once more....:D :) :D

Bill P,
Thank so much fir the website referrals they were most helpful.
Klonopin may alleviate that anxiety..... If I ran to the front of the boat noone would be drivimg? We just might end up in the Bahamas (which woulnd'nt be so bad) if i was heading East
(I believe that is 90 degrees on the compass, us girlies aren't too good at directions - that's shy there are GPS's)....
Thanks agaim,
=-)

I would back up and refuse to take the speargun. There is no excuse for handing a loaded speargun back into the boat. If you don't know how, or are unable to unload a speargun prior to getting back into the boat, you have no business with the speargun.

Sorry, but in my opinion, there is no reason to ever attempt to hand a loaded speargun from the water to the boat.

Dear Sara,

I have spearfished all my life so a few tips on gun "etiquette".

Actually, no loaded gun should be up on deck BUT things can happen. An emergency with a diver in the water may force you to return to the boat and quickly get out of the water--gun in hand.

So what do you do? If it's a "band" gun--with elastics, you have several choices. First, don't point it over the side of a boat and fire it straight down--you may hit someone under water. If you are not familiar with loading this type of gun, you will have no appreciation of the power of some elastics. If you cannot discharge the gun safely, horizontally in the water with all divers accounted for, then store the gun vertically, point down--if it discharges, the body of the gun will move upwards with less speed than the spear shaft (if aimed upwards). Also, the spear will not be suddenly yanked back toward the boat when the line pulls tight. Make sure the safety is on. If you can "store" it horizontally on the dive platform, pointed at right angles to any ladders, you can achieve some safety--divers coming around the platform to the ladder will be at some risk. Back wash over the platform may prevent this method or result in a discharge.

If the gun is pneumatic, DO NOT DISCHARGE THE GUN ABOVE WATER--IT WILL BLOW THE END OFF THE GUN AND YOU MAY BE INJURED. These guns REQUIRE water to be in the barrel when discharged, this prevents the piston and spear from travelling too fast and literally knocking the end off the gun. The spear from a pneumatic gun can travel underwater at over 250 mph. Band guns have slower shaft speeds.

A submerged, horizontal discharge can be done--all divers whereabouts have been ascertained. It the gun has a power selector switch, move it forward to the low power setting, then discharge. If you know how to set the power selector switch (if it exists) you can safely discharge the gun by placing the spear point in a corner of the boat and pressing all your weight onto the back of the gun. You will feel the spear go into the gun...depressing the trigger then will release the spear and your body weight is sufficient to control the spear...simply let the spear out a little at a time. DO NOT DO THIS ON FULL POWER--you may not be able to control the spear. It can bend into a U and throw you back. If you are unsure, then store it spear tip down, in a verticle position, safety on. You can put the spear into the gunnel rod holder hole in the side of the boat.

Of course, the best way to bring the guns up is unloaded. I use a pneumatic, so I always discharge on low power before boarding. Band guns can be "unloaded" but it takes strength and anticipation of how strong the elastic is...if you are not sure, pull the trigger underwater. It would be good if you asked how a particular gun works, just in case you have to handle it.

Now for broken fingers. My first aid kit has aluminum finger splints. You can buy them at most good pharmacies. They can be taped to the injured finger. Splinting to an ajacent finger is also possible as mentioned before but there will be more movement. Elevate the hand and don't dive again. Ice it--but it will hurt.

There is no over the counter medication strong enough for a broken finger. The Lorcet, if tolerated is good. The anti-inflammatories you mentioned, even at prescription strength, work slowly and while they may eventually be enough, they won't work fast enough.

No diving on Lorcet. This is a potent narcotic and in some people it will cause nausea. Do not use it in cases of DCS--it messes up the clinical findings of the docs doing the evaluation.

Speaking of first aid kits, don't expect the dive boat to have what you need. Bring your own and stock it according to your experience. Remember, if you are traveling, any prescriptions for things like Lorcet must have your name on it and have a reasonable quantity. You don't want to be accused of smuggling.

I'm sure I left something out...sorry. I'm also sure that fault can be found with any "suggestions" for storage or discharge of loaded spearguns on board a boat. This situation does occur on occasion and it has to be dealt with safely. If you are not sure, just store it vertically, safety on--if it discharges, it's moving away from people on the boat or in the water.

Hope this helps,

Larry Stein

Back
Top Bottom