Spearfishing in 80 feet w/ 13 yr old... Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good video. I want to add some kind of extra pony,on dives. What size are you using? Im never going deeper than 100ft. Want to make the right choice first time. Thanks.

My son is wearing a 6 and I am wearing a 13 cu-ft. You need to go through the calculations and assumptions for yourself, but a 6 cu-ft is probably fine for 80 feet, I use a 13 for past 100 ft myself. I made this video because i get tired of people saying a 13 cu-ft is way too small.

[video=youtube_share;r-L9extLDZQ]http://youtu.be/r-L9extLDZQ[/video]

Are you trolling, dumpsterDiver? PADI and NAUI recommend that junior divers don't go that deep. I believe that the PADI standard for a 13-year-old is 60 feet, and I think that NAUI is the same.

Are you trolling, dumpsterDiver? PADI and NAUI recommend that junior divers don't go that deep. I believe that the PADI standard for a 13-year-old is 60 feet, and I think that NAUI is the same.

Trolling???? :shakehead::shakehead:

This was him diving 80 when he was 10 yrs old... The camera was much worse and I didn't really consider the need to do much editing.... more of an early home movie... :D.

10 yr old Wreck Diver; Palm Beach; Depth: 80 feet. - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;w2NcsMdOWLA]http://youtu.be/w2NcsMdOWLA[/video]

The depth limits for young divers are conservative but they exist for a reason.

What is the reason crush?

I myself dove deep at very young age with a da aquamaster, and have been diving deep ever since.

Another awesome video DD. I particularly enjoyed watching your boy pilot the boat. He couldn't see over the console so he had to do like the engineers running old steam engines; peering outside the pilot house.

The Mola Mola wasn't bad either.

Any reason why you don't bring up the lionfish to eat it?

Also, which fish do you aim for? Other than the lionfish - what fish did you spear? I can't make it out.

I see people always going for the barracuda - but wouldn't a non-meat eating fish be tastier - and possibly have less mercury than a meat eater?

What is the reason crush?

I myself dove deep at very young age with a da aquamaster, and have been diving deep ever since.

Please note that I am not a physician. The issue about depth of diving and age has been dealt with on SB by medical professionals in the appropriate fora. My brief overview of this topic follows:

There are several reasons for caution. You yourself may have been diving deep from an early age and have suffered no damage. However, that is not to say that it is a good practice to recommend. The best synopsis that I can find which deals with young divers appears at: Doc Vikingo's Children & Diving . Two strong arguments against deep diving for young divers are that they are at an increased risk for PFO and the possible retardation of bone growth resulting from the possibility of damage to growth plates from nitrogen bubble formation.

For myself, I always stay within recommended limits (as an example, I have never been below 120') even though in many cases, I am not aware of why the limit is set at what it is. It may be naive, but I normally assume that whomever set the limit knows more than I do.

I don't have kids, but if I did, they would be taught to respect limits as I do.

Back
Top Bottom