Spearfishing in 80 feet w/ 13 yr old... Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son is wearing a 6 and I am wearing a 13 cu-ft. You need to go through the calculations and assumptions for yourself, but a 6 cu-ft is probably fine for 80 feet, I use a 13 for past 100 ft myself. I made this video because i get tired of people saying a 13 cu-ft is way too small.

[video=youtube_share;r-L9extLDZQ]http://youtu.be/r-L9extLDZQ[/video]

I have a 13 as well. I've never surfaced with, but I've done the math with gas use and my primary. Most of my diving is <100ft. I can surface and do a safety stop. And if I had blow off the stop, I would. I like the weight and buoyancy characteristics better than the 19. But that's me.

I don't solo often, but if I do in the ocean, I'll take it. I do solo without it at bhb. But that's not really an issue.

What I remember is age for cert diver went up then went back down. I would say that is cause there was no real proof that damage could occur overall in children. Like some cannot dive cause of ear problems, conjestion and etc of problems why a person cannot dive.

Is 80' really all that deep, 33' hits, 66' hits and 80' is 19' less than the next atmosphere. To me it is a non Issue unless the child is hitting several deeper atmospheres and decompression.

The reason I ? you crush, is it appears your trolling this thread, as this 10 year old did a safe easy dive, I did not re watch as I remember when dump posted it back then and there was no flack back then. And after dumps other thread being tarnished from spearing fishing, the tos in this forum there is no bashing on the sport of underwater hunting.

I looked at as an attack on dump and as well is not very conclusive from the dive they did that the 10 year old was in any real danger to his body growing normally.

I have seen kids to 100' on vacation dives and this would be a serious issue if it happen to every child that dipped down past too many atmospheres.

VDGM, you are welcome to your opinion but I will point out that it is at odds with the advice of medical professionals. My posts in this thread have been respectful and short except for the longer response to you where you requested more information from me. You are welcome of course to report my posts. For the record, I have nothing against dumpsterDiver and I appreciate his posts.

I just wanted to see if you could come up with any satisfactory new info on child development from deeper diving, and its the same as it has been for many decades.

Back To The Original Post

Question : What fish types do you hunt, other than the barracuda?

(the lionfish you kill & leave I can understand. easy to kill, but to bring aboard w/o touching a spine and clean w/o touching a spine, for a tiny piece of meat...)

Back To The Original Post

Question : What fish types do you hunt, other than the barracuda?

(the lionfish you kill & leave I can understand. easy to kill, but to bring aboard w/o touching a spine and clean w/o touching a spine, for a tiny piece of meat...)

We take snappers, grouper, triggerfish, jacks, porgy, sheepshead very rarely a flounder, mackeral species, black margate.

Jim,

Always a pleasure to see your posts. You have much to be proud of in the upbringing of your dive buddy. Keep showing us the good stuff.

I'm more a visual guy - fish like these?

Nothing better than pics to help identify. Let me know if I offend - I found these more entertaining than just the fish UW.

Amanda's Triggerfish.jpgsaltwater-girl.jpg7508Sheepshead.jpg

How the hell am I supposed to compete with those...... (pictures)? :eyebrow:

How the hell am I supposed to compete with those...... (pictures)? :eyebrow:

I dunno...ask your son! He's 13 right? Old enough.

Ask him if he can spot the fish & type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom