Spearfishing with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
have you ever actually tried it?
Tried what?
Spearfishing whilst breatholding? Yes.
Spearfishing on OC SCUBA? Yes.
Spearfishing on CC SCUBA? No.
Hunting elephants with an M2? No.

Every means of harvesting an animal has its pro's and con's, supporters and detractors. All too often the detractors have little to no basis for thier opinions. It doesn't matter if its fish, deer, ducks, geese, bear, or elephants. But to keep this on point, spearing on a rebreather is illegal in the coastal states whose regulations I have researched, while spearing on scuba is illegal in many other countries.

Wayward makes an excellent point.

TwoBitTxn:
Every means of harvesting an animal has its pro's and con's, supporters and detractors. All too often the detractors have little to no basis for thier opinions. It doesn't matter if its fish, deer, ducks, geese, bear, or elephants. But to keep this on point, spearing on a rebreather is illegal in the coastal states whose regulations I have researched, while spearing on scuba is illegal in many other countries.

Wayward makes an excellent point.

Yep. primitive bow hunters don't think people who hunt with manufactured bows of wood laminates or fiberglass are sporting. Traditional bowhunters don't think compounds are sporting. Compound bow hunters don't think cross bows are sporting. All of them don't think hunting with a rifle is sporting. Until you get a guy like me who hunts with traditional archery tackle, and handguns, and rifles, and muzzle loading rifles and as a result is not an equipment bigot. The deer/bear/pronghorn/elk/whatever doesn't care much what I killed it with, it's still dead & headed for my dinner table.

I hunt for me, not anyone else. Same goes for hunting in the water.

You're right if you use the dictionary definition of the word sporting. But you must admit:
A. it's more difficult due to task loading, reloading a gun while breathing heavier at depth etc etc, than just diving and looking around at fish.
B. It's an honorable way of getting food on the table and doesn't waste anything assuming you keep what you kill.
c. If you're shooting big fish on deeper dives, it's far more dangerous than mere "sport diving" and staying within recommended limits. In the two years I've been logging onto Spearboard, I believe there have been at least 10 deaths, on SCUBA, among members or friends that members know.

If you can load a blue water sized gun (Riffe Baja Plus for example) with 3, 5/8 inch bands and not increase your respiration rate, you're a much better man than I.

You're also making the assumption that every shot is a kill shot. Of course, you're probably that good, but many aren't. Then one can get caught up in chasing down a wounded fish, trying for another shot....I believe a rebreather would be most dangerous in this situation.

Hank49:
If you can load a blue water sized gun (Riffe Baja Plus for example) with 3, 5/8 inch bands and not increase your respiration rate, you're a much better man than I.
I can, but that likely cause I'm bigger, not better.

Hank49:
You're also making the assumption that every shot is a kill shot. Of course, you're probably that good, but many aren't. Then one can get caught up in chasing down a wounded fish, trying for another shot....I believe a rebreather would be most dangerous in this situation.
I'm a lousy shot, so I don't attempt it very often. I guess I've developed a bad attitude hanging with a bunch of Blue Water breathhold Hunters.

ECVdiver:
what is the board opinion of hunting with a rebreather. I have talked to a few of my freinds and in general we come to the same conclusion. "ALL IS FARE IN LOVE AND BREATHING UNDER WATER" or something like that. But I am open to other opinions and would like to read them.

My opinion is that the "board" opinion shouldn't matter when it comes to your actions, but you ask.
I believe that if you are taking dinner while you dive, it shouldn't even come to play if it is a "sport" or not. It is what it is: Taking a fish/mollusk/or even seaweed

What is ethical to a vegetarian is certainly different than to a meat eater. The same goes for the difference between "take only pictures" crowd and the "do not touch" crowd.

...and, since there is no agreement about what is "ethical" we have laws. They are not perfect but for now in the US at least provide a bit of a guideline.

After reading most of the responses, few things come to mind:

-why would having a profile makes an opinion more or less valid? hmmmm

-I agree with Wayward's post.

-there will always be someone that disagrees.

Wayward Son:
...Until you get a guy like me who hunts with traditional archery tackle, and handguns, and rifles, and muzzle loading rifles and as a result is not an equipment bigot...

But you don't use an inline muzzle loader, so you? That wouldn't be sporting.

:wink: :)

Ana:
-why would having a profile makes an opinion more or less valid? hmmmm

I think it's a matter of perspective. Thalassamania comes from the world of acedemia, where credentials are important.

Back
Top Bottom