Speargun Accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
On a crowded beach where most people represent round or oval objects the tendancy is to produce glancing blows with surface flesh tears and small direction changes until it finally hits somebody square on. A surface tear caused by a 2lb spear coming into soft flesh at high speed and at a shallow angle is going to produce a very messy wound without a lot of energy absorption.

I'll concede that if the crowded beach was tightly packed with standing wall-to-wall people and the gun was fired at close range at a low-angle trajectory, then this is scenario is plausible. The part about some numbskull walking on a crowded beach with a loaded speargun doesn't surprise me, even though it is akin to hunting deer on a school yard during recess. Lest we remind ourselves that common sense is not a required pre-requisite for purchasing and using a speargun. This is one of the reasons why I will not hunt with anyone whose hunting skills I am personally familiar with unless they have been vetted by one of my hunting buddies. I have introduced quite a few divers to the sport, but follow the same indoctrination process for divers that want me to spearfish with them on their first hunt:

1) Have them read Chapters 1-7 & Appendix B of B. Allen Patrick's book, Spearfishing and Underwater Hunting Handbook.

2) Spend approximately 30-60 minutes with them prior to the hunt, on land, reviewing safety issues, managing their equipment, and a review of what they need to do after they aim and pull the trigger. This interaction not only helps them, but reassures me that they did in fact read the book and comprehend the major safety issues discussed in the book.

3) If they're using a line gun, and most of the beginners I've dove with start off with a line gun, I have them practice reloading their shaft and wrapping their line until they can do it with their eyes closed. Although this doesn't simulate the effect of a neutrally buoyant gun and a potential rat's nest of line floating between the gun and the shaft, it does familiarize them with the process of what has to go where.

i had an accident last summer..... the gun (not me.. i wasn't touching it) shot the boat.

i had adjusted the triger earlier that week. i tested it to make sure the trigger pull was still plenty hard to keep from a misfire. well i was getting suited up for the 3rd or 4th dive my stepdad and I were making... and i hear a BOOM. my pneumatic speargun that was laying flat on the back of the boat decided that it just wanted to go off for no reason. scared the heck out of me and my shaft was stuck in the side of the boat. you would be surprised how much (and how thick) of fiberglass a speargun can punch through. the tip was stuck in the outside layer so i unscrewed the shaft, but a new tip on, and went diving.

i went back and set my trigger on the hardest pull. no more accidents, and i still love my pnuematic gun.

GOAT,

Why was a loaded speargun on the boat? I am not a spearo, but I was under the impression that you loaded / pumped / banded or whatever underwater, and that you unload, release unband or whatever before you surface, even if you are doing multiple dives.

Wristshot

Wristshot:
GOAT,

Why was a loaded speargun on the boat? I am not a spearo, but I was under the impression that you loaded / pumped / banded or whatever underwater, and that you unload, release unband or whatever before you surface, even if you are doing multiple dives.

Wristshot

very good point. somebody pulled a stunt like that on one of my trips it would be the last hunt they came on with me, don't care who there are. a loaded speargun NEVER leaves the water. idiots....

just a different boat setup, you would have to be there to understand. and i know, i know...

anyways, that's what happens when beginners learn by example of everyone else doing the same thing on bass boats. you learn by example, and then by mistakes.

GOAT: I give you credit for admiting to your mistake and posting it. That takes guts, or stupidity.....What kind of accident did you have....? The accident was stuip and the post took guts. I don't think that explaining would work.
Wristshot: On Phenmatics you load after to enter the water but it is hard to use the air pump underwater, there isn't a fitting that you attach to your air supply to fill. Put air in it on the surface ALOT of air! and the air just moves around in the gun as you shoot and reload (recompress the air contained in the gun).

Last summer I was shooting some sheepshead and shot one where the spear did not go completely through the fish. Point lodged in the bony area of the head. Wanting to get it off quickly, I tried shoving the spear through so I could continue with my hunting. While holding the fish with one hand and pushing the spear with the other, something slipped and the spear went through the fish and into my hand. The sharp point penetrated the area between my thumb and finger and required a number of stiches to tie back together. Sharp spear points can cut if you do stupid things with them, whether your gun is loaded at the time, or not. - - (Still haven't fessed up to the wife about this one. Told her I did it while cleaning the fish. That sounds stupid, but not as stupid as the true story.)

chuck41,

I don't blame you...why give her ammunition?

I've got a hard top on my boat now because I got tired of guys sticking my old soft top! Even did it once myself.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom