Spearing the Invasive Rio in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Harris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m been spearing lionfish throughout the Caribbean for 10 years however the family wants to go to Kauai this winter. Since lionfish are native to Hawaii I’d like to spear the invasive Roi or other invasive species while there. The one diveshop I’ve contacted said they don’t permit spearing and isn’t aware of any shops that do. Any ideas on how to get to spear while there other than renting a boat?

spearfishing while scuba diving is illegal in hawaii. you can free dive and spear but not scuba.

Hawaii has it’s own endemic red and green lionfish only found in hawaii.

spearfishing while scuba diving is illegal in hawaii. you can free dive and spear but not scuba.

Hawaii has it’s own endemic red and green lionfish only found in hawaii.

Looking online all I can find regarding a prohibition of spearfishing on scuba is the western side of the big island. I cannot find any regulation stating that the entire state has precluded spearfishing while scuba diving.

Do you have a reference or link for a whole state ban?

A study by The Nature Conservancy and the Division of Aquatic Resources of Hawaii concluded this:
After four years, there were no significant differences between the treatment site where roi were actively removed and the control site.
In other words, just a part of the marine circle of life between predatory fish and prey that is essential for a healthy ecosystem.

I suggest you target gray snapper (Uku) or perhaps Big Eye Emperor (Mu) if you're really skilled. Both are excellent eating.

Not sure of the legal status of spearing while on scuba, but culturally, it is strongly frowned upon. Respecting culture is big in Hawaii, probably on Kauai more so than any other tourist island. You'll be a visitor to their state, so you should respect the local cultures and practices.

As for how to do it, go shore diving. When I lived on Maui, there wasn't even a requirement for a fishing license, which I thought was bonkers, but I didn't make the rules. If you go for it, uku or roi would both be good targets, good luck with Mu! And don't take any uhu (parrotfish).

Not sure of the legal status of spearing while on scuba, but culturally, it is strongly frowned upon. Respecting culture is big in Hawaii, probably on Kauai more so than any other tourist island. You'll be a visitor to their state, so you should respect the local cultures and practices.

As for how to do it, go shore diving. When I lived on Maui, there wasn't even a requirement for a fishing license, which I thought was bonkers, but I didn't make the rules. If you go for it, uku or roi would both be good targets, good luck with Mu! And don't take any uhu (parrotfish).

I’m totally down for respecting cultural practices - if spearfishing on scuba is greatly frowned upon by locals then I agree that it shouldn’t be done. But for the sake of accuracy that’s how it should be presented, not that it’s illegal state wide (which it still may be, I just couldn’t find a reference to it was).

I remember talking to a scuba shop that catered to the spear-o's in Kapa'a. They would sell, but not rent and for very legitimate reasons would not take anyone they didn't know out spearing (like the last thing you need in an unknown dive "buddy" is a cowboy with a spear gun)

if spearfishing on scuba is greatly frowned upon by locals
Not my experience (on Maui). I've had DLNR look over the zodiac with scuba gear and spearguns many times without issue. (Full disclosure, that was more than a decade ago.) Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any shop that caters to visiting spearos (either freediving or scuba) on any island.

FWIW, some locals frown on non-locals, regardless of whether they're spearfishing, but that's a different thing entirely.

Wrong island for you, but I did a intro to freeding/intro to spearfishing with Maui Spearfishing Academy Maui Spearfishing Academy home page a few years back. We had great fun and it was a good operation. We were invited to join one of their private trips but had to decline because of schedule conflicts.

Looking online all I can find regarding a prohibition of spearfishing on scuba is the western side of the big island. I cannot find any regulation stating that the entire state has precluded spearfishing while scuba diving.

Do you have a reference or link for a whole state ban?
Like you, I cannot find info online. i suspect you could contact DLNR. I’ve always been told it was illegal and never questioned it. I’ve never seen a diver with a spear but many free divers. as said above it could be a local thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom