Specialty Classes SSI outline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver:
And take Nitrox. It's like the cheapest class available, and doesn't require any dives. how hard can that be?

Comrade Stroke

Wrong. With SSI this class actually costs $150 and requires 2 dives.

DawgDiver:
Wrong. With SSI this class actually costs $150 and requires 2 dives.

Wrong. My SSI Nitrox course required no dives.

See the signature for my SSI experience.

Doghouse I live in Portsmouth and have done my OW classes thru Lynnhaven Dive Center. Great bunch there , if you have any questions at all for the content I recommend talking to Tim Simms he is one of the AOW instructors. LDC # is 757-481-7949 or website www.ldcscuba.com hope this helps you out

Honestly... Take Stress and Rescue, its worth it. I'd typically say take Nitrox as well, but you say you don't have a benefit from it. A majority of my dives are off the beach(shallow) and in the springs(shallow), but I have nitrox for the few and far between dives I make deep off a boat. I dive air like 95% of the time, or more.

To be honest, unless you are wanting to collect cards, or you need an AOW card to dive some specific wreck(Speigal? Oriskany?), just find an experienced buddy to take you out in different conditions while getting profficient in those particular environments. Experience will ensure this more than anything else...

Save the money for more advanced classes if you are looking to go that far into the sport.

Theres no "master diver" program, but there is a master diver class package, and nitrox Requires no dives. why would it? its just differnt tables and MOD's.

garyfotodiver:

Must be something new... until recently PADI was the only organization that certified divers on Nitrox without doing dives.

garyfotodiver:

Ok well I asked the instructor at the SSI shop today, and either your instructor did something wrong or you are mistaken, because SSI still requires dives for Nitrox certification.

Whoops must mean my instructer did something wrong too?!?!?!?!......OR not. Maybe that instructor requires check out dives, but three people with different instructors didn’t have to do check out dives. So SSI must not require them.

Value for $$ is definately Stress Rescue. You will learn to look at diving from an entirely different perspective. Unfortunately, it also makes you spot those little signals that indicate a diver IS going to be a problem before you ever hit the water....like walking around in a 5mm full wetsuit in near 100 degree temps for over an hour.

NAV: teach you how to navigate UW w/wo compass as well as how to gauge distance by your kick rhythm
Deep: teach you how to plan and conduct a deep dive beyond 60ft as well as recongize Nitrogen Narcosis
Boat: how to dive from a boat safely
Night/Lim Vis: how to navigate/negotiate night and/or limited visibility conditions (good one if you're going to dive in lakes)
Nitrox How to dive Nitrox gas mixture (new tables)
Wreck How to identify a wreck, dive safely near/around, and it's dangers
Photo supposed to be techniques on how to take UW photos (I do not have the instructor's outline on this yet)
Dry Suit types of suits how to don/doff, care for, and dive in a dry suit
Search and Recovery Search patterns and how to bring items to the surface safely
Waves, Tides, Currents Hazards and how to dive these types of conditions

DawgDiver:
Ok well I asked the instructor at the SSI shop today, and either your instructor did something wrong or you are mistaken, because SSI still requires dives for Nitrox certification.

Yep, we do 2 check out dives for this class also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom