SPG for Backup Pkg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OKI_GI

Reaction score
Having experienced one total dive computer failure underwater, I'm buying a Citizens Hyper-Aqualand as a backup and intend to hang an analog air gauge off my first stage. What do you recommend for a small, bullet-proof SPG?

Three come to mind that are worth considering:
1. Uwatec Master Diver - my favorite, I've got a couple that I've been very satisfied with. Easy to read, good luminescence, very accurate. The rubber boot is soft, and easy to slide on and off to change hoses. I understand that they're impossible to find now, and that they've been discontinued. There may be some old stock left that your shop can order for you.
2. Scubapro - I've got a few of these (the full-sized ones, not the mini versions). Always worked pretty well, reasonably priced. You can get it with a hard rubber boot, but they're tough to get on and off to change hoses. For stages, I just use them without the boots and with a 6-inch hose. I've got a couple of primaries that I use with the boots, simply because it's got a little eye thats handy to tie a snap to.
3. Diverite - A buddy's got one and is pleased with it. Nice big numbers, easy to read. Don't even need my bifocal mask to see it. Seems pretty comparable to the Scubapro, but with larger numbers. Slightly larger footprint, too.

Just make sure to get a brass case and a mineral glass lens for durabilty. A lot of these gauges are made with a plastic case, and I'd personally stay away from them. Of course, Uwatec's got a digital SPG, but it sounds like you trust air-integrated electronics about as much as I do. And use a stainless snap to attach it to your waistbelt D-ring, not a brass one. For primaries, I like a 24-inch hose, and it seems like a lot of these come with a 30-inch hose. The shorter length doesn't stick out as much, and is more streamlined.

I think in this case, small and bulletproof don't necessarily go together. The largest SPG, in a boot, is going to be significantly smaller that those bulky consoles.

Just my $0.02.

Rob,

EE just got the "last" batch. I think they may have a few. I agree with you, they are sweet. I need one, want to sell one? :)

Eric

Hey, Eric.

I need to hang onto the ones I've got. I saw that message on EE's page, and I guess I should probably order another one to keep around and collect dust (just in case, you know).

I seem to recall seeing a thread on TechDiver where lesser SPGs were crushing below 450' or something way below what I'd dive and consensus there was Uwatec as well. Too bad they're discontinuing them, but I guess they were afraid of cannibalization of their digital SPG market. ;-)

Take care,
Rob

Rob,
It was worth a shot. Thanks.. I think since they were bought by scubapro, they may see it as competition with the SP analog gauges.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom