SPG Location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I clip spg on the left shoulder d-ring, routed under my arm, inside the snap for the stage. I can monitor gas without unclipping, and easily drop or transfer stages. It is a choice. YMMV
Eric

Same here and there has never been a reason not to. There were three of us diving one day, two old divers and one hew diver. After the dive the new diver stated how easy it looked for us having our SPGs on our left shoulder D ring instead of on our hip d ring. He changed and never looked back.

I clip spg on the left shoulder d-ring, routed under my arm, inside the snap for the stage. I can monitor gas without unclipping, and easily drop or transfer stages. It is a choice. YMMV
Eric

Me too. I've done it both ways and I like this better. You may want a slightly shorter hp hose, depending on your torso depth. I tilt my head down and rotate my spg to check my air while I watch my buddy reach for his hip, take a few seconds to unclip it, pull it up to his face, read it, pull it back down to his hip, and take a few more seconds to clip it. I usually smile during this. But he can't tell because he's focused on checking his gauge :)

On the other hand, it can get a little busy up there depending on your inflator hose length. Something to be mindful of. I'd try it and see what you prefer. make sure the hose isn't bowing out too much. If so, get a shorter hp hose.

For the sake of saying something different...If it makes it easier, you can also add a zip tie around the base of the bolt snap. I haven't tried this before but it might be something extra that you can feel to distinguish snaps.

For the sake of saying something different...If it makes it easier, you can also add a zip tie around the base of the bolt snap. I haven't tried this before but it might be something extra that you can feel to distinguish snaps.

I distinguish between snaps by feeling which one is attached to an SPG and which one is attached to a scuba tank :wink:

Although it may be "anti-establishment", I am aware of a few (some high level technical divers/instructors) who clip the spg to the upper left D-ring as it can be seen with just a downward look, even when slinging a bottle on that side. I too like this configuration....

I did "tweak" is somewhat, using a rebreather side ring as the slider and a d-ring trapped on the face. Makes a nice clip point for the bottle, and a d-ring for the SPG.

Could I see some pictures please? I've been looking for a good way to route my spg.

Place it where it works for you. There is no right or wrong, only what works. Understand your requirements and in-water processes, then put it where it works. Dive gear must evolve as the diver evolve. My setup has evolved slowly over the last few years and I will most likely add a butt-plate later to help manage my stages better (space, streamlining & access).

I have my SPG over left shoulder attached to LPI, it works for me!

gauge.jpg

My lastest tweak is a small light on my right shoulder strap. I cave and having small/non-intrusive yet fixed light over your chest and hand area is great. This little puppy has been down to 250ft with no issues.

image.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Just bought new BP/W and I'm planning to get 40 cu in pony. The preferred location for SPG is clipped to same waist D-ring the (bottom of pony) is clipped to. So, I see a problem there. Thinking of adding another D-ring for SPG but on shoulder below existing D-ring that top of pony will be attached to. Also seems like reading SPG would be easier. Thoughts/recommendations?
I will 'pile on' - there is no problem clipping / unclipping a SPG from a waist D-ring to which the bottom clip of a pony is attached. The facility with which yoiu can do this will be enhanced by practice. But, once you develop a feel (literally) for the procedure, you will find it to be remarkably simple. So, there is no reason to attach another D-ring. Clip the SPG 'aft' of / behind the pony clip and you can access the SPG easily, and re-stow it easily.

As several have already noted, there are also divers who run a shorter SPG hose under their left armpit and clip the SPG to their left chest D-ring, AND also clip the top attachment of a pony to that ring. I have some minor issues with that approach, personally, but I have seen it work just fine, as the testimonials in this thread suggest. I do that myself with BM doubles, but seldom when I am clipping a deco bottle as well.

Although it may be "anti-establishment", I am aware of a few (some high level technical divers/instructors) who clip the spg to the upper left D-ring as it can be seen with just a downward look, even when slinging a bottle on that side. I too like this configuration....

I did "tweak" is somewhat, using a rebreather side ring as the slider and a d-ring trapped on the face. Makes a nice clip point for the bottle, and a d-ring for the SPG.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

One of either of these with a d-ring (serves as a slider)

Dive Rite Offset D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

End Loop D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

or, this using a regular slider

Polygon Ring with Sidecar - Set of 2 - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

Eric

Same here and there has never been a reason not to. There were three of us diving one day, two old divers and one hew diver. After the dive the new diver stated how easy it looked for us having our SPGs on our left shoulder D ring instead of on our hip d ring. He changed and never looked back.

Me too. I've done it both ways and I like this better. You may want a slightly shorter hp hose, depending on your torso depth. I tilt my head down and rotate my spg to check my air while I watch my buddy reach for his hip, take a few seconds to unclip it, pull it up to his face, read it, pull it back down to his hip, and take a few more seconds to clip it. I usually smile during this. But he can't tell because he's focused on checking his gauge :)

On the other hand, it can get a little busy up there depending on your inflator hose length. Something to be mindful of. I'd try it and see what you prefer. make sure the hose isn't bowing out too much. If so, get a shorter hp hose.

Me too

Like the others, I have also found it easier to route my spg under my arm and clip it to my left shoulder D-ring. It's nice being able to look monitor it with nothing more than a downward glance. I've tried many different ways, and I have found this to be the most practical for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom