SPGs - 2" or 2.5", smaller scale vs larger scale...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers, guys.

Jorgy, I know that most of this information would be standard. But, I do think that standard information should always be presented in its entirety for the sake of completeness and to say "hey, we make proper technical dive equipment that conform to all relevant and required standards"... and expectations.

The thing with the Mares presentation is that at least I "know" what it is and don't have to assume anything. One thing about all the OMS, Highland, Halcyon gear, et al, is that I don't really know what the tolerances of their gauges (for example) are. I mean, at what depth are their SPGs gonna start imploding or potentially malfunction? Mares clearly state that their gauges should not be taken down further than 50m (which probably isn't that much for the majority of technical divers). But, at least I know (it's about 165 feet).

Their statement that their 300 BAR SPGs should not be filled more than 200 BAR raises a question, as you have said that most SPGs that you know of can tolerate 75% of their scale. But, at least I can now follow up with Mares and ask them why their gauges don't match the expected 75% that most other SPGs do.

Do I just assume that it is okay to go to 75% with all the "technical" gauges? That doesn't seem like a very technical approach to diving.

Look, I know that this is probably academic to most and everyone knows you can take "X" type gauges to "Y" pressures for their entire life without issues. But, that's not the point of this little rant. Actually, I think something like an SPG should be able to take 110% of their highest pressure marking. That would mean what you see is what you get.

I actually like the clean lines of the Mares Mission 1. Not sure if I will need the incremental marks in between the main marks, as they seem a bit light:
http://www.scubastore.com/images/products/fotos/mar00335.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

I have used both a 2.5 and 2, in Bar, both from DR Express, I prefer the plain white, Highland, 2". The 2.5" DR branded SPG is now a spare. Most B&G SPGs are made from the same factory in Italy. Specs? its only a gauge so not overly concerned to be honest, if it seems to work then it probably does. Cheers.

I think the 50 m limit is more related to the EN 250 directive......

More a regulatory compliance issue for European scuba gear suppliers than a gear technical spec......

If I recall correctly the performance envelop for EN 250 is less than 50 m greater than 10 degrees C and able to provide a flow of air without exceeding a certain work of breathing - all new regs I am aware of can exceed the EN 250 requirement......

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom