Spiegel Grove Mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same as my diving. Have no idea of depth until actually on the water and know the real conditions at sites. It could be a 5m dive, it could be a 45m dive. The only gas that guarantees i can dive any of those safely is air.

I do often carry a side sling of 50 or 100% though to help with stops.

When are you going to go diving the grove? Just curious as I am going soon myself

I never was one to trust depths listed at sites as I have rarely seen anything listed as "acurate". I was wondering if any of you guys that frequent the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo could give me a good "from experience" actual depth of the structure most frequented on intial explorations. I'm thinking the bridge to deck areas. I need to know so I don't get stuck at 95 ft with 36% with everything cool below. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks :D

32% is what I use when I dive it. There's not much to see below 120 FSW - which is the depth at the bottom of the well deck. If you want to kiss the sand at around 135 FSW... then go with 28-30% But really there's no need. FYI - There's plenty to see above 100 feet... If you plan your dive correctly, and multi-level it right... you can do 45 minutes or so on the wreck itself without running into Deco.

It could be a 5m dive, it could be a 45m dive. The only gas that guarantees i can dive any of those safely is air.
Having been blissfully narced on air at only 40m in perfect conditions, - with all that implies for less than perfect conditions - I don't think there's any gas lacking helium that guarantees I can dive safely at that end of the depth range.

That's fine, everyone has their own personal narcosis tolerance and their own personal view as to how much they're prepared to take. Nobody is forcing you to do it.

Warm clear conditions such as the grove and abroad im happy to dive deeper on air then i often will in typical UK conditions. Some days im happy and content at 55m, some days im not happy below 35m. As long as common sense is employed and the person involved blames nobody but themselves i dont see a problem.

That's fine, everyone has their own personal narcosis tolerance and their own personal view as to how much they're prepared to take. Nobody is forcing you to do it.
Glad you didn't take that personally - reading your sig, I didn't think you would, but irony has to come from somewhere.

It's intended as a data point to anyone considering a deepish dive on air. It can sneak up on you, even in perfect conditions, and you may not react properly in an emergency. In my case, I was having the time of my life, despite going deeper than ever before, and neglected to monitor my gas usage. Luckily it wasn't an OOA.

Yep - don't mean to claim narcosis isnt an issue and so on - it most definitely is. However, in my view its up to the individual to decide how much they are willing to risk and nobody else should make that choice for them.

Some people will dive air deeper or in conditions worse than i'd happily do it whilst on the other hand im happier to dive it in worse conditions than others. At the end of the day it doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom