Spike does Community Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After much scuttle-butt in reguards to this purported very serious case of vandalism that occured in or around Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, I decided to take matters into my own hands and get to the bottom of this alledged dastardly deed. In this effort I enlisted the aid of Sgt Brock and the NTD Militia to conduct a night recce to gather some intel and if we were really lucky catch the perpetrator(s) in said henious act.

The following is the intel report.

Operation Ban the Can

Situation: There have been reports of the flagrant vadanlizing of all the GRC's (Green Refuse Containers) in the POH area. This situation could lead to increased political tensions between rival factions and eventually open hostility and sillyness.

Mission: Conduct a covert recconaisance of POH and gather intel to either substaciate or dispel said rumors of WSV (White Spot Vandalism).

Execution: At approximately 0700 hrs Z 18 Aug 2004 a mission team lead by Sgt Brock was inserted into the POH area. The team remained on site for approx five hrs until dawn forced extration at 11:48Z.

Action and Reporting: In following summary

Command and Signals: Nil

Summary: POH contains the following:
42 GRC's
9 Recycling Containers
1 Used oil receptical

GRC Report - Of the 42 GRC's only two were found to have curious round markings on. Stickerology forensics were unable to detemine the exact nature of the these markings other than to confirm that the glue base used is a common compound used in the sticker industry to affix stickers to a base object. Curious was the distribution of the afflicted GRC's as they were the two in closest proximity to West side of the NW corner of POH commonly associated as the home of a dive charter boat from that area.

Recycling Containers - None found to be vandalized

Used oil receptical - Not found to be vandalized

As to the unsubstanciated reports of private boats being subject to WSV, of the 127 private marine craft that were in POH during the observation period extensive examinations of the exteriors of these vessels showed no signs of vadalism but yes several boats are indeed in need of repainting, most notable those associated with diving charters.

Conclusion: Statistically speaking if you are a boat, recycling bin or a used oil receptical you there would be zero probability that you would suffer and incident of WSV. If however you were a GRC you would have a 4.76% chance of such an incident. However as with most statistics this is somewhat misleading as given the small sample size and the distribution of these alleged incidents when placed on a bell curve and calulated to three sigmas would indicate that there is vitually no possibity of getting stickered at all unless standing alongside a the 50' stretch of dock at the extreme NW corner of POH - so beware!

As to the perpetrators there is no indication what so ever as none were seen during the observational period.

Recommendations - If the problem persists it may be necessary to mobilize a WSV Block watch.

So ends the report.

My comments on this are that it may be necessary to mobilze a WSV Block Watch. If our POH compatriots are unsure how to do this I am sure that the NTD Militia would be more than willing to lend organizational resouces and surveillance equiment to this effort.

Personally while I appreciate our customers buying stickers from NTD and in this case donating 8 dollars plus GST and PST to our corporate coffers I would ask that you exercise restraint in their use in politically sensitive areas lest the ensuing bloodbath, or in this case the Goop bath or tendonitis of the person removing the sticker that creates WSV, that ensues be laid at your feet.

Dan MacKay
President, Northern Tech Diver

Very good report...
thanks for the good idea...I must buy a stack of stickers for my Dive trip to Florida next week....the shops I visit enjoy recieving stickers from visiting dive clubs and shops....even the NTD Militia....

The Dive Troll:
If SPIKE and the gang would like a lesson in the art of painting I would gladly show them. It seems these mysterious round markings have shown up on a few private boats-- leaving a similar scar when removed. One boat will even have to be repainted.

Sniff, Sniff: I can't believe my efforts were not apprieciated. I spent years as an Ice Shark no one remembers me as Spike the Ice Shard, but do one paint job not up to POH standards and I'm remembered as the Spike the bad painter.

Sgt Brock has told me that another recon will be conducted in the next couple of days to see what is actually happening done at POW maybe he'll be able to assist in getting the WSV mystery solved

Back
Top Bottom