Split fin query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I borrowed a pair of Twin Jets (with spring straps) when I forgot my pair diving once. I have to say they were really nice fins, easy on the legs and easy to kick with but not sure I would have had enough power had I been in a current. I haven't tried any other split fins but I would say that if I was in for a pair they would most likely be my choice. (I usually dive with turtles though)

I think I'm one of the few divers out there that can honestly say that I don't like split fins. Personally I would recommend the Tusa Imprex fins. They are smooth in the water and allow for more manuverability, but you can still get the extra power if you ever need it!

darylm74:
I borrowed a pair of Twin Jets (with spring straps) when I forgot my pair diving once. I have to say they were really nice fins, easy on the legs and easy to kick with but not sure I would have had enough power had I been in a current. I haven't tried any other split fins but I would say that if I was in for a pair they would most likely be my choice. (I usually dive with turtles though)

All the objective testing done shows that split fins tend to give higher top speeds.

A split fin that is fast in no current will be fast in a current. Current has no effect on a fin's absolute performance. A simple examination of the physics involved will confirm that fact.

Thus the conclusion from the above is that in general split fins will tend to perform better in current, not worse.

I like my Atomic split fins. But that's me. You should see if your LDS has demos. Try everything until you find what you like. My son (20) is just about to get certified and is going to be trying different fins from our LDS.

mdb:
CrazyScuba: This is an inaccurate and incorrect statement.

The higher grade split fins, AquaLung, Apollo, Atomic, Oceanic, Scuba-Pro, Tusa, will all do well in current when kicked correctly.

If divers prefer a stiffer version of the split fin technology they are also available from several dive companies.

The Apollo fin bio-fin pro XT model has been tested as the fastest split fin regardless of conditions.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_XT.htm

www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/fin_fight/1/

Apollo:
We disagree based upon testing in the pool, under rescue conditions and in strong currents in Cozumel, Bonaire, Galapagos and in a variety of other conditions. We have found that the Atomic fins outperform the others. It could be for a variety of reasons, such as the fit of the foot pocket, the different tests that we ran on the fins that you may or may not have performed, and the fact that we were totally unbiased. Many of the fins could not even tread water in open water conditions without changing your kicking method. The Atomic performed better in all sport diving conditions we tested whether kicking correctly or "incorrectly". We tested the fins ability to tread water using a skull kick. We then tested the performance of the fins using the following kick styles: flutter kick, scissor kick, frog kick, cave kick.

We simulated diver rescue tows, utilized the fins in cross currents, with the current, and heading into the current. We allowed divers who were impartial and just wanted to try the fins to test dive them and choose which pair they would want to purchase due to their personal diving preferences and they chose the Atomic. Many of the fins we tested could not keep a divers head above the water while treading water or could not successfully tow a diver while at the surface. We also tested the fins as photographers trying to maintain different positions while taking pictures and the Atomic fins gave us the best control under many different positions and buoyancy settings.
Other things we tested the fins on were needing to power through a surf zone to get to the beach. Catching up to a dive buddy who's swimming fast ahead of you, and snorkeling at the surface under choppy conditions while trying to maintain a speed as though you're playing with the dolphins.

These were tests done by real divers under real conditions with no bias. We weren't doing it to write an article, we were doing it so we would know which fins to put our students in and do dive trips in real life ocean conditions. In choosing Atomic we are choosing the fin we can't sell online.

We all have our different opinions. That's what makes scubaboard so exciting. We would love for your engineers to join us on one of our dive trips, we'll be happy to bring all the fins along.
Thanks,
Britt
CrazyScuba.com

I just got back from a week in Cozumel, where I decided to put my Apollo Bio-fins (Yellow) to the test. For those who don't know, all dives in cozumel tend to be drift dives, with the current varying from gentle to flying fast.

I decided to try all of the different types of kicks, especially the ones that split fins aren't supposed to be able to handle.

Helicopter turns - No challenge! I was able to do full circles, in any current, with my hands neatly folded against my chest. I now love that kick, and can see how useful it can be.

Reverse - Still working on that one. In a strong current I was only able to stand my ground, but in a gentle current I was able to back up. Might just be my inexperience with this kick.

Frog kick - not as effective as the flutter, but still fully functional, with lots of control ability. Was able to stand my ground against a current.

Scissor kick - What's all the fuss about?

Flutter kick - Great acceleration. No leg cramping.

Surface swimming - We dove a site (Maracaibo) that had 4-5 footers at the surface. I was able to swim at will on the surface, with no undue stress or strain. BTW: The boat captain had a hard time seeing/finding us due to the surge, and I used my ear-piercing Alert sound devise. If you don't have one, get one.

The conclusion: The debate will rage on, but I love my Apollos.

I don't have a dog in this fight, both the Apollo and Atomic are good fins, about equal. However, whenever I see a dive shop operator blabbing on this board I can feel my quills coming erect.

Doing a literature search for fin test results continues to surprise and confound. Apparently, the fin manufacturers are continuing to tinker with plastic compounds. The upshot is that last year's test data are often different from current results. The tests in the link below focus on thrust, the force generated by a diver using a particular pair of fins under controlled conditions. Whenever a thrust test is offered, it seems that someone claims that the test is not "real world" or that the results are skewed because water is not flowing over the diver. I discount those comments as nonsense. However, I can't verify that the results below are not falsified somehow. I don't know this British outfit as well as those more familiar to us. Even so, I tend to believe in the sincerety of the testers. I have to. Moreover, if the translation of the raw data was not misapplied accidently or intentionally, then one must conclude that the performance of swim fins is evolving rapidly and in unexpected directions. As a personal note, I am looking into purchase of Northern Divers Power Fin for purposes of conducting my own informal test.

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2586&v=3&sp=332392698426344240234

pescador775:
I don't have a dog in this fight, both the Apollo and Atomic are good fins, about equal. However, whenever I see a dive shop operator blabbing on this board I can feel my quills coming erect.

Doing a literature search for fin test results continues to surprise and confound. Apparently, the fin manufacturers are continuing to tinker with plastic compounds. The upshot is that last year's test data are often different from current results. The tests in the link below focus on thrust, the force generated by a diver using a particular pair of fins under controlled conditions. Whenever a thrust test is offered, it seems that someone claims that the test is not "real world" or that the results are skewed because water is not flowing over the diver. I discount those comments as nonsense. However, I can't verify that the results below are not falsified somehow. I don't know this British outfit as well as those more familiar to us. Even so, I tend to believe in the sincerety of the testers. I have to. Moreover, if the translation of the raw data was not misapplied accidently or intentionally, then one must conclude that the performance of swim fins is evolving rapidly and in unexpected directions. As a personal note, I am looking into purchase of Northern Divers Power Fin for purposes of conducting my own informal test.

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2586&v=3&sp=332392698426344240234

If the dive shop operator is hiding behind a nickname and you don't know it's a dive shop, I have to agree with you. But if they are listed as a dive shop and everyone knows it, it's just another opinion for us all to take into consideration. Isn't it? :wink:

I look forward to reading your test results. This is what I'm here for, to learn about all this cool equipment and come to my own conclusions!
Thanks for partaking and allowing me to partake!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom