Split fin versus the blade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have split fins, and so do most of my dive buddies. One of my dive buddies commented that I tend to kick up a lot of silt. They also notice that I am much quicker then most...I have a strong kick. You may have one also and may want to use less muscle in your stride.

Scubapro Jetfins or Hollis F1 or Dive Rite. No split fins they are terrible for silt and for forg kicking and really bad for backwards kicks.

I'm pretty sure I could find a way to make this setup work for eating soup. It would just be a matter of practicing the correct technique.

On the other hand, I would probably have better results if I just chose a better tool for the job.

-Mitch split spoon.jpg

i prefer a paddle fin and do find that is stirs up less silt. The way in which it directs the energy off the back of the fin seems to be less turbulent. With that said technique is a greater contributer to less silt than the actual fin style. Try the modified frog kick. keep legs bent at the knee and frog kick using small movement with the power being generated from small movements of the ankle. Works like a charm. I am sure there are some helpful youtube videos on the subject.

Good splits relieve the risk of cramping- I use both type and have 3 sets*, one full foot pocket for really warm water.
I don't have a drama with silting with any of them,as I don't ground out or kick down into the bottom, I keep my neutrality in the water and go gently if I want to get close to the bottom to take a shot, use my breath control to aid the approach and to rise out on the departure- hold breath to approach spooky little critters so the reg don't freek em out too.
*Apollo bio pros, mares quartos and super channels full foot, the splits seem to be lets effort.

I'm in the Jetfin camp, with proper trim. Fins should stay above the legs, not behind them.

I noticed when using split fins, the period when you transition to the opposite direction of your stroke, the initial few inches of your foot's movement translates to no forward motion since the flappy parts of the split fin basically bends from one direction to the other. So that's 10% of your motion lost to doing nothing. I guess that's what I see alot of people end up doing with split fins. Alot of pushing around the fins, but no forward propulsion taking place, just stirring up the water in the vicinity area.

There's a thorough article here: Underwater propulsion which covers fins and the different techniques.

As divers we really owe it to the environment and to each other to perfect our Buoyancy, Trim and Kick. The skills are interconnected and a diver's weakest skill will be the one that is most detrimental.
Having a videographer shoot your technique underwater is perhaps the most useful aid.

Here are a couple of divers having some fun with a different set of underwater techniques:
[video=youtube_share;sFlWOXPMDbE]http://youtu.be/sFlWOXPMDbE?hd=1[/video]

Back
Top Bottom