split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogue_Diver:
Where I have seen them not shine are for any dive with current, or shore diving. These dives require a lot of effort to get the fins to move you through the current or through the surf. So, basically, decide what type of diving you will do more of and purchase accordingly.

The claim that split fins are not good in current (but strangely ok in still water) is just a myth. A simple analysis of the physics involved can confirm that current has no effect on a fin's performance.

Thus if a split fin is the fastest fin in still water it will also be the fastest in a current.

There are many threads on the subject such as this recent one.

If you want a scientific discussion on split fins try looking here.

Xsports, don't let the diveshop spin you stories about investing in split fins. Try as many different fins (paddle and split) as you can and then decide if they are the investment for you.

I haven't tried paddle type fins, my first fins were Atomic Splits, which I loved how, I didnt feel like I was kicking hard but still moving right along. When I decided to go cold water my size large didnt fit with my drysuit and rock boots and bought the Scubapro Twin Jets and they are just plain awesome. No matter what fin you go with, invest in the spring straps, the XScuba are good and inexpensive

Scuba-Josh:
I haven't tried paddle type fins, my first fins were Atomic Splits, which I loved how, I didnt feel like I was kicking hard but still moving right along. When I decided to go cold water my size large didnt fit with my drysuit and rock boots and bought the Scubapro Twin Jets and they are just plain awesome. No matter what fin you go with, invest in the spring straps, the XScuba are good and inexpensive
Welcome to this side of the pond.

Gary D.

they have there place , its just not in Diving . I started with Tusa splits and now they are my snorkle fin .

xsports:
so i went to the LDS today and i was told that i should invest is some split fins.... I just bought my basic gear but i didnt go with the splits....I dont mind getting the splits but im just not sure what i will gain from them.....anyone out there like to help...

My selling point on split fins is this: Let them dive a hard plastic pair, then immediately follow that with letting them dive my Twin Jets. I usually get threats that if I let them dive them a 2nd time, I won't get them back!

Find someone who will let you dive a pair after diving yours to see the difference. Energy management is key with split fins. Provided you don't buy cheap split fins, they are designed to be energy efficient and provide little resistance. Look at it from a racer's standpoint:

Scubapro Twin Jets, Oceanic V12, etc. = Lamborghini

Tusa Liberator, Scubapro Veloce Club, etc. = 1970's model VW bug in dire need of a rebuild

With most splits, you should get equal thrust response from your "throttle" input (kick). You will definately pay more for them. Try a pair and see for yourself before you buy.

I have splits and like them. My primary reason is that I tend to have sore knees and ankles when I wear blade type fins. With the splits, I have no pain whatsoever.

I bought twin jets a short time ago and tried them on 5 dives so far. The last time I used them was in Bonaire and I used them for my orientation dive. I then switched back to my Genesis Response fins and used them for the following 17 dives. I just don't feel like I am going as far with each kick cycle with the twin jets. They defenitely are less strain and you feel little resistance with them. I personally would rather kick less often with more resistance than more often with less. Maybe it is in my head I don't know.Also the twin jets are a little bit wider and took me a while to get used to kicking without the fins touching. I also should add that I bought the blue twin jets and the lds told me that they were softer than the black color. Can anyone verify this for me? Maybe I should try the blacks? Or should I buy jet fins like I see a lot of guy's using?? There must be something to them it sure isn't their looks!

As a newbie, plus being a middle aged bloke, my old soccer legs are not in the best shape. I bought a set of Mares solid fins for a resort dive. These were great but I cramped up in about 5 minutes of gentle constant finning.

To get around this and prepare myself for my OW class, I started doing about 20 minutes in my pool, just kicking with my fins on, working my way through the cramps.

A LDS lent me a pair of Atomic SplitFins and the difference was amazing. The resistance was much less and the cramps almost totally disappeared, so I bought a set.

I've used my SplitFins for all my ocean drift dives (West Palm Beach,FL), but noticed last week, that trying to swim into the current was nearly impossible to make any head way.

I think my solid fin definately provides more thrust but at the expense of wearing your legs out quicker.

es601: As I seem to recall, the black are the stiffest and slightly negative, the blue are intermediate and close to neutral, and the yellow are floppiest and somewhat floaty.

I just bought a pair of used Twin Jets to use for snorkel swims. I *MUCH* prefer my Jets for actual scuba diving, but what makes for a great scuba fin and what makes for a great snorkel fin are two completely different subjects, it seems.

(There may be times when I'll break out the Twin Jets for a dive, but the quarries, springs, and lakes I seem to dive most often are heaven for Jet divers.)

My biggest concern is that you didn't get the pleasure of the split fins in your OW class. Though, I must say that paddle fins will give you a better workout underwater.

I dive for pleasure and hit the gym for a workout. So, for me, I can't imagine diving anything except splits. AND...I dive in a high current environment...

Tusa's and Atomics are in my gear locker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom