Split Fins in Strong Current and on Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwinh

Reaction score
After reading many posts of laments and praises about the various splitfins, is it fair to conclude this?
- Split fins don't work too well in strong currents
- Split fins don't work too well on the surface

I dived with the Quattros since day 1. After the birth of the splits, I have been itching to switch. Unfortunately, LDSs in Singapore do not allow you to try the fins before buying. I'm considering the Apollo Biofin Pro XT and SP Twin-jets. However, if the above two conclusion are experienced and agreed by most, I would rather stick with my faithful Quattros.

I think you're being way too limiting in your conclusions. A more accurate description is:

- Split fins don't work too well

I own Plana Avanti Quattros and SP Twin-jets.

- Split fins don't work too well in strong currents

I've been in some current, and the twin-jets worked fine for me.

- Split fins don't work too well on the surface

Again, my twin-jets worked fine for me

The only thing I don't care about the jets is the strap mechanism. I intend on getting the spring straps...someday.

Walter:
- Split fins don't work too well

Never tried them have you?

I always beat (usually by a significant margin) everybody on a surface swim.

I've personally have never had a problem in a current, but then again I tend to stay away from swimming into a current no matter what fins I'm wearing.

The only real disadvantage I've heard of them is that you can't fin backwards in them. Since I can't fin backwards anyway, this isn't a problem for me.

I got really bad leg cramp on my first few dives. Since I bought the fins I've never had leg cramp.

I wear scubapro twin jets (black - apparently the different colours make a difference)

Never tried them have you?

Actually, I've tried more than one brand several different times.

They give little thrust. They are not good with a variety of kicks. They give you no fine control.

Walter:
They give little thrust. They are not good with a variety of kicks. They give you no fine control.

FACT: I swim faster with less energy used underwater and on the surface in my split fins.

You can theorise all you want, but at the end of the day I know what works for me.

I think it is safe to say that TX101 likes split fins and feels that they work for him/her.

Personally I agree with Walter... after having tried three different brands. Split fins do not provide the *traction* for immediate thrust and precise control.

As for reverse kicks using split fins... it can be done... but no where as efficiently nor as easily as with paddle type fins.

I think you can conclude that different fins work/don't work for different people. It can be difficult (and expensive) to find what works for you.

-F

Back
Top Bottom