Split fins.... YES or NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried a pair of "split fins" on in the pool and they seemed to work good ..... but I'm not changing over from my Scubapro Jet Fins that have lasted me for over 20 years ........ do you think the Tusa fins will last 2o years ? I can still hear people back in the 60's asking why my fins had holes (vents) in them .... it didn't take long for the jet style to catch on and now they are one of the most copied fins ever ... A few years ago we would have thrown out any fin that had a split up the middle ... who knows .... why don't you try the vented jet fins with splits ... the best (or worst) of both worlds

pwraudio1:
I use TUSA X-PERT ZOOM fins and have been thinking about getting Non-Split fins...

What do you like?

You are thinking of switching, but you don't bother to say why? Is there something that you need the fin to do that you can not manage?

There are no shortage of DIR folks on this forum who will tell you that splits are bad... just bad.

Then again Splits seem to outperform paddle fins in most every test. This includes speed, agility, ect.

One thing I do notice about my splits (Apollo biofin) vs. my non-splits is that they tend to be more flexible. This would indicate that in a tight space you may be more likely to kick up stuff with the more flexible fin.

I noticed when watching IMAX "Coral Reef Adventure" that most of the divers where using splits. What is up with that? I mean these guys are not REAL divers...right?

So I guess the point is that while many like to dismiss and even act as if splits just don't seem to work, the reality is that what works best is what is comfortable for each individual, and includes what type of diving one is doing. For the most part it's all good.

These arguments remind me of the Canon vs. Nikon, film vs. digital stuff I see daily on the photo forums. Mostly pointless, and they ignore the bottom line. That is that the end result is more important vs. anything else, and what impacts the end result is more to do with comfort and personal preferance vs. exactly what name or type of equipment one owns.

Getting in better physical conditioning and keeping streamlined with good swimming position probably makes more practical difference than whether you use paddle or split fins, I see it as more of a stylistic difference. I now use split fins (Apollo bio-fin) and am happy with them, and haven't dug any trenches of late. In deference to UP's rototiller comments, I think I probably do keep up a higher kick rate, but see it as akin to spinning with a faster cadence on a bike.

Well I just wanted to know what eveyone is using and why.... I like my splits just fine... I did go today any buy a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro's. I'll give them a try this week...

thanks for the feed back!

RonFrank:
You are thinking of switching, but you don't bother to say why? Is there something that you need the fin to do that you can not manage?

There are no shortage of DIR folks on this forum who will tell you that splits are bad... just bad.

Then again Splits seem to outperform paddle fins in most every test. This includes speed, agility, ect.

One thing I do notice about my splits (Apollo biofin) vs. my non-splits is that they tend to be more flexible. This would indicate that in a tight space you may be more likely to kick up stuff with the more flexible fin.

I noticed when watching IMAX "Coral Reef Adventure" that most of the divers where using splits. What is up with that? I mean these guys are not REAL divers...right?

So I guess the point is that while many like to dismiss and even act as if splits just don't seem to work, the reality is that what works best is what is comfortable for each individual, and includes what type of diving one is doing. For the most part it's all good.

These arguments remind me of the Canon vs. Nikon, film vs. digital stuff I see daily on the photo forums. Mostly pointless, and they ignore the bottom line. That is that the end result is more important vs. anything else, and what impacts the end result is more to do with comfort and personal preferance vs. exactly what name or type of equipment one owns.

I only wanted to know what other people thank... No more No less.... :wink:

Split fins are great for the standard flutter kick - as Ron Frank posted, they test great.

On the other hand, if you ever learn proper propulsion techs (that don't kick up the bottom and take less energy) splits are total junk.

The best thing about splits is that identify people that do not know how to swim right - there people, by the every nature of their inefficent, sloppy, kicking style WILL kick up the bottom (it's basic physics from they do) - avoid being near there people as the vis will be poor. It has nothing to with DIR or anything like that - the flutter kick for which the split is designed for (and only for) throws water right down to the bottom. While people with jets can roto the bottom just as much as anyone (if they choose to flutter kick), people who wear splits have made a commitment to ONLY flutter kick - there fins are only good for a kick that stirs up the bottom - watch out for this.

pwraudio1:
Well I just wanted to know what eveyone is using and why.... I like my splits just fine... I did go today any buy a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro's. I'll give them a try this week...

thanks for the feed back!

I have the Quattro's. In the water they are great. The buckle mechanism is a bit of a pain though. One of these days I'll get round to replacing them with spring straps.

pwraudio1:
I use TUSA X-PERT ZOOM fins and have been thinking about getting Non-Split fins...

What do you like?
On this morning's dive I wore long, non-vented paddle fins, US Divers Blades. One DM used Scubapro Twin Jets (splits). Another DM used Scubabpro Jet Fins (vented, short, wide, not split). The other 6 people on the boat had a variety of other fins, both split and non-split, and both long and short.

We all had nice dives.

How you fin needs to be compatible with the type of fin you are wearing.

Borrow some fins from your buddies or LDS and do some dives. Although you will get lots of advice, particularly those that are pro Jet Fin and anti splits, but you need to figure out what works for you.

Charlie

I have both split (apollo) and turtle fins just like jet fins(scubapro) or rocket fins (aqualung) but longer and wider, I will out swim anyone with split fins on and not use as much air. Do the test put on a pair turtles and have a friend put on a pair of split fins face each other and lock hands and both start kicking, turtles or jet fins win every time!
Ed

Back
Top Bottom