Spools as safety reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not yet. I haven't been able to justify paying a guide when I can buy more regs and push areas that I've already been. Lower Orange is pretty neat. I'm looking for a scooter as I only kick or borrow now. Some of the pics from Diepolder are part of why I started cave diving in the first place.

Originally posted by maddiver
Myself I am recipient of the Wakulla Silver Award and received the Wakulla Bronze in 1998 (both verifiable) and received NACD full cave from JJ before GUE was started (also verifiable). So my opinions (as yours) are formed from experience in water and not some internet mumbo jumbo. Sorry for the aside but it just burns me up when you have guys that have never been in a cave giving certified cave divers advice.

When I grow up... I WANNA BE LANCE!

Dive often, but dive safe.

John

John

The post you quoted was to validate a point, not to 'Brag' or set a pecking order as one private msg indicated- there's always those with more experience and we all can continue to learn. Two different approaches.

I feel (opinion) that you and the rest of us, as certified full cave divers achieved a milestone and put forth some degree of verifiable effort and learning. It ticks me off to find out that people who are posting on lists are not what they 'claim' to be either directly or indirectly.

Do you really think that someone who is uncertified and unqualified and is hiding this really has your best interest at heart when dispensing advice? I don't and I think they should let everyone know before they start plagiarizing others ideas.

I have seen gross examples of this including a non certified diver (guy had never been in the water) giving out tech advice for 300 ft mix dives. Its like me talking about the specifics of brain surgery and directing a surgical procedure.

I believe we need some mechanism to separate fact from fiction to make ideas that 'sound good on paper' from hurting someone that applies these underwater. Maybe this is a little clearer. Hopefully the rest of that post was not disrupted by my little rant.

Originally posted by Cave Diver

When I grow up... I WANNA BE LANCE!

John

John

The post you quoted was to validate a point, not to 'Brag' or set a pecking order as one private msg indicated- there's always those with more experience and we all can continue to learn. Two different approaches.

I feel (opinion) that you and the rest of us, as certified full cave divers achieved a milestone and put forth some degree of verifiable effort and learning. It ticks me off to find out that people who are posting on lists are not what they 'claim' to be either directly or indirectly.

Do you really think that someone who is uncertified and unqualified and is hiding this really has your best interest at heart when dispensing advice? I don't and I think they should let everyone know before they start plagiarizing others ideas.

I have seen gross examples of this including a non certified diver (guy had never been in the water) giving out tech advice for 300 ft mix dives. Its like me talking about the specifics of brain surgery and directing a surgical procedure.

I believe we need some mechanism to separate fact from fiction to make ideas that 'sound good on paper' from hurting someone that applies these underwater. Maybe this is a little clearer. Hopefully the rest of that post was not disrupted by my little rant.

Lance

I certainly didn't mean anything offensive by my comment. Rather I meant it as a compliment that you have achieved a high level of experience and skill, one that I am still wishing to be at (thus the 'when I grow up' comment.) I did not in anyway take your statement as 'bragging' and having talked, discussed and debated with you in person, there is one thing that I would like to make perfectly clear for anyone else reading this board. You come across to me as a very knowledgeable, skilled and capable diver. I have had the pleasure of talking to you IN PERSON and in those discussions I NEVER got the impression that you were 'talking down' to me because you had a much greater amount of experience.

I have met a lot of divers that talk a good dive and have all the best equipment, but unfortunately they dont' have the skills to back it up. You on the other hand, have the skills AND the experience and while you are willing to share I never saw you flaunt it or wear it as some sort of 'badge of honor.' In fact, the only reason I knew you were "Maddiver" was because I saw your gear setup and the other TSD team members pointed you out to me and asked if I had met you yet. You are certainly dont strike me as the type to go around flaunting your accomplishments. If someone holds your matter of fact statement of experience against you, then I think it is their loss as they will miss out on a lot of good information.

Again, my earlier post was my way of saying that I respected your achievements and looked forward to learning from you (and others) and reaching similar goals myself someday. If it sounded as if I meant it in any other way, I hope this clears it up and you have my sincerest apologies.

I also agree 100% with your comment regarding people giving advice beyond their skill level. I want to learn from those that have been there done that, not those that read about it and to me, YOU are one of those people! To paraphrase what you told me in our TL discussion: The best way to find the solution is to go out and dive the problem. (kinda catchy, might hafta make that my new quote...)

BTW, got my Jets in from LP today, and I plan to go to Houston tomorrow to check out the LDS you recommended and sign up for my DIRF class. Still waiting on my DIRF book to come in tho, maybe it will get here tomorrow...

John

And it was more of an opportunity to reply to some Private Message in public. I certainly appreciated your approach at Twin Lakes and frankly it forces everyone to think and rethink and continue to work toward improvement. I just was trying to tackle too many issues at once and internet/email/forums are not my best form of communication.

I just hope you guys don't get sold down the river and have to buy gear and hopelessly struggle with inefficient and sometimes dangerous techniques due to a lack of available info as I did. No offense taken.

Originally posted by Cave Diver

I certainly didn't mean anything offensive by my comment. Rather I meant it as a compliment that you have achieved a high level of experience and skill, one that I am still wishing to be at (thus the 'when I grow up' comment.) I did not in anyway take your statement as 'bragging' and having talked, discussed and debated with you in person, there is one thing that I would like to make perfectly clear for anyone else reading this board. You come across to me as a very knowledgeable, skilled and capable diver. I have had the pleasure of talking to you IN PERSON and in those discussions I NEVER got the impression that you were 'talking down' to me because you had a much greater amount of experience.

I also agree 100% with your comment regarding people giving advice beyond their skill level. I want to learn from those that have been there done that, not those that read about it and to me, YOU are one of those people! To paraphrase what you told me in our TL discussion: The best way to find the solution is to go out and dive the problem. (kinda catchy, might hafta make that my new quote...)

John

I just hope you guys don't get sold down the river and have to buy gear and hopelessly struggle with inefficient and sometimes dangerous techniques due to a lack of available info as I did.

I did make some poor gear choices when I initially started diving. Of course when I took my basic OW class I knew I would love diving, but had no idea that I would end up with the training that I have now, so my gear has evolved a bit.

Luckily, I feel that I had some great instructors and I have been fortunate enough to be around some really skilled divers, all of whom have readily shared information out of love for the sport. I found that the second best way to gain experience is to shut up and pay attention to those that earned it. And when I find someone that actually knows what they are talking about, trust me I listen, and I appreciate every word. After all it is MY life that is at stake. Better to learn from the mistakes of others than to make them myself...

Mad,

Sorry for delay, I've been working on getting a real job. done : )

I haven’t bothered to get any of the Abe Davis or Wakulla awards. I’m waiting for GUE to come up with one til then I’ll just be diving.

Rear D-Ring for spools:

This is where I carried mine prior to Cave 1. After a couple of attempts from the various instructors to show what happens when these are bumped and the line or spool goes and your still swimming. I decided to copy their method of putting it the pocket.
Yes, I use a DUI bellows on my DUI suit.

A couple of message ago I thought I read the butt ring was no longer necessary…I haven’t used mine in a while. Other then when I dive my wetsuit in the ocean but I already purchased the pockets and just need to install them.

You are right all of my experience is in north Florida. I did take a short trip to Mexico and was able to dive in Aktun Koh (Puma Cave). This place was amazing. It was huge. My buddy and I hired a guide from dirakumalcenter. …Frida. We did a dive upstream and then downstream. While these places are huge, we stayed above within 20’ of the line at all times. It would take a failure of 3(or 2) team divers to keep swimming for 3 minutes(avg 50 foot per min) or 30 seconds (scootering) to get 150’ away from the line and not notice. That’s why I mention that if you need a 150’ spool to find the line there are other factors involved that should be reconsidered before the dive.
Same applies for a buddy lost in a silt out 150' away from the line.
Is that really a buddy?

All my team carry 150’ spools as safeties and smaller ones for gaps and jumps.

I guess you busted me on pulling out my safety reel to repair a frayed line. Since when does it take 10’ to make that kind of repair?

All we did was undo the knot and use about 6” of line to tie it to both ends and cut the frayed line. Test it and alert others of course.

All,

Anyone still considering using a Safety Reel as a Safety Reel, I found the one I started with my spare gear.
Dive Rite Blue reel for Sale $25.

Willanz2@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom