• bad

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • decent

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • no opinion/neutral

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowledge, experience, service (as in somebody actually in the dive area) seems to be hit or miss from store to store...

The one near me rarely has any staff and usually inexperienced teenagers that know very little about diving or SC's stock. Maybe I go at the wrong times? I've also heard about short fills (I don't fill my tank there).

OTOH, I have heard great things about SC from other people (even about the one I go to).

So, heck, if your SC gives you what you want, use them... check your airfill B4 you leave :wink:

Kevfin:
Knowledge, experience, service (as in somebody actually in the dive area) seems to be hit or miss from store to store...

The one near me rarely has any staff and usually inexperienced teenagers that know very little about diving or SC's stock. Maybe I go at the wrong times? I've also heard about short fills (I don't fill my tank there).

OTOH, I have heard great things about SC from other people (even about the one I go to).

So, heck, if your SC gives you what you want, use them... check your airfill B4 you leave :wink:

They stopped doing water fills awhile ago.

Whatever. I have a 130... I'm always coming up with 1200 or 1300 anyway. Like it makes any difference if I get 3446 or 3300...

SC rules. The one in the Marina - I don't even stand in line anymore. I just take my tanks to anyone near the counter and have them sign off my air card.

And in defense of the guys (and gals) that work in Scuba at the Marina store - I don't know if they know their stuff or not. I never speak with them. What I do know is most of them have been there a long, long time - and on numerous occasions I have seen each of them spending an inordinate amount of time with a dazed consumer - walking the consumer through the ins and outs of mask fit, wet suit fit, fin fit, which BC is best for them, etc. etc. They're all friendly and seem to be there if someone has a question.

What's really bogus is when their compressor is down. Sure, they post a billboard on the front door glass... do I ever see it? Heck no. I'm schlepping waterheaters... like I look up. I usually get about 1/3 of the way back when some kind soul shouts that the compressor is down... saves me the walk through the chick wear back to Scuba.

I love that place.

---
Ken

The walk through the chick wear is the best walk where i am

All depends on the staff. My instructor/buddy is based out of the one in marina del Rey. She's great!

There are exceptions, but as a rule they have very inexperienced people working there. Not just in the SCUBA department. My youngest took his OW there and that was a dismal experience, poor instructor and store was full of excuses for very late or missed classes. I tend to put them in the same category as Walmart - Know what I want when I go there get it and get out.

I like dive shops the best and the Sports Chalet honestly isn't one. That doesn't make them bad either. I've been to a couple of them and I was impressed. The one east of San Diego had a short hop from the back door parking to the fill area and they had carts available to use. If I lived by them I'd use them every so often.

Al Mialkovsky:
I like dive shops the best and the Sports Chalet honestly isn't one. That doesn't make them bad either. I've been to a couple of them and I was impressed. The one east of San Diego had a short hop from the back door parking to the fill area and they had carts available to use. If I lived by them I'd use them every so often.

DrB: I see her there all the time. Always say hi. She's the best!

Al: You are correct - SC isn't a dive shop. But I'm from the other side. I hate dive shops. Hate 'em. My lothe for dive shops knows no bounds. SC is the perfect place for me. I roll in, drop my tank - no dialog is exchanged, no grind, no drama. I roll back in, my tanks are by the counter. I hand over my air card, and I'm outtie. I love it.

It completely eliminates the dive shop drama I can't stand. I love SC.

---
Ken

No experience with CA SCs, but I've been to one of the AZ locations. I wasn't impressed.

Limited gear selection,
inexperienced staff with little knowledge of diving if they're even certified,
high prices (you'd think the Walmart of Scuba would be cheaper),
and no nitrox (according to one of the instructors there (who, btw, is a nitrox instructor!!! as he was very quick to point out) told me the AZ stores can't get nitrox until the CA stores OSHA case is resolved (hmmmmm, I wonder what that's all about....)

Granted, air fills are reasonable and you can get a fill card, but I hardly dive air so that doesn't work for me.

The only thing going for them is their proximity to a local hole I frequent, but I can drive another 10 minutes and get clean air charge by the cf.

I wasn't impressed with the rest of the store either.

No Drama????? What kinda place is that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom