Sport Diver program on OLN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there dove it, probably one of the top 5 best wrecks in Eastern Lake Erie. Viz has been good enough to see almost the entire wreck both masts to the top and bow to stern hovering over the bowsprit. One of those wrecks you just can dive once.
when it was discovered it was know as Schooner X. I have a framed drawing of it.
Ken

Mike

Have you ever dove the "Cayuga"? That sound like a cool wreck. I have talked to a guy from Detroit last weeknd in Gilboa Quarry that had dove it and thought it was great. It looks like it is out quite a ways however. I will bring you a copy of the Straits wrecks from the show and if I can find it I will copy the show on the St James "Mystery Schooner X". Have you heard back from Dan yet? We were wondering if we could fit the Samuel Mathers into our weekend in Superior.

Water Lover

Here are a couple of cool sites on the "St James", or the no longer a Mystery Schooner X.

http://members.rogers.com/longpoint/mystery.htm

http://tremeg.com/schoonerx/index.schoonerx.htm

On the second site you can download and watch a video from stern to bow dive on the st james.. It is worth seeing.. Kinda like a virtual dive.

Jeff Great lakes diver

Yeah, I've dove the Cayuga. It's a nice wreck, but kind of average for the Straits, other than the story behind it. It is a long ride out to it. I haven't been out to it for a few years.

Diving the Mather kinda goes like this: go if the weather allows you. It's not often that a weekend combines with good enough weather to comfortably dive the Mather. I'm certainly up for a Mather dive, but don't get your hopes up. That wreck is very weather dependant.

With wrecks like the Cayuga and Mather, Dan calls them "targeted trips", meaning they are way out of the way or are deeper than "normal", and they'll cost extra (how much more depends on a lot factors). That wreck would probably be considered a technical dive. It just isn't worth going out to for a 10min bounce dive. If you guys want to dive the Mather, I'm sure the price would go up to $110ea, and you'd two dives in for the day (maybe the Panther, Vienna, or Sadie Thomson as the second dive).

Dan checks his e-mail at work, so I should hear from him on Monday.

Mike

Marvintpa

I was mistaken when I said Mystery of the deep. The show was called Oceans of Mystery on OLN and it is on in the mornings at 9:30.
It would be a great wreck to dive. And as for the Straits we have a trip planned for the 1st of June and have 1 spot open on the boat in the afternoon on Sat and the whole boat is open on Sunday right now. Log onto Wreckdiving Forum and post on the Straits post if your interested in joining us, or send myself or the Lostyooper a pm and let us know.

Jeff Great lakes diver

In that case I know the show you are referring to. It contains one of the funniest moments ever recorded in a diving program. One of the dive team somehow manages to lose a fin while bouncing off the silty bottom. Back on the surface he says into the camera, "If that had happened in salt water I'd be dead."
I'm not sure what the heck that was supposed to mean, but it matches the mentality of someone who dives to 165' on a single 80.

You've got it. That's the show..

Jeff Great lakes diver

As of this morning, the Staits charter for June 1 is full (both morning and afternoon). However, I'll be diving a lot in the Straits all the month of June and perhaps early July. Then I'll spend more time in Whitefish in July, August, and September.

Let me know when you wanna come up, Marvinpta.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom