Spray painting with SCUBA...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Working through some lockdown projects, one being restoring a 1980's vintage road bike with a rare 63cm XL sized frame... worth spending the time to get it right.

Stripped off all the paint, and carefully hand rubbed back to bare steel... but how to refinish it without having to resort to rattle cans?

They say 'necessity is the motherhood of invention'... was stuck in lockdown for 112 days and being restricted to within 5km of home meant I couldn't borrow my mate's air compressor :(

Eyeing my two 15L SCUBA tanks... both full... hmmm.

Patched up a hose by cutting the end off an old LP hose and crimping it onto a 250psi air tool hose fitted with a standard Nitto QD connector. Old Aqualung unbalanced piston reg pressed into service reduced tank pressure to ~125psi, secondary inline adjustable regulator at the gun got it to 30psi.

Back of the envelope calculations said a 15L 240 BAR fill should get me around 12 mins air with the gun fully open at 277L/min... but of course painting a bike frame is very different to a car panel, lots of short bursts and angle changes. One 15L tank was just enough for 2 coats of etch primer and 3 coats primer surfacer. The other one handled 4 colour coats with 20 BAR left after cleaning the gun.

Zinc rich etch primer first coat in state-of-the-art spray booth :D

Etch primer frame.jpeg

Top coats done, colour is 70's vintage Land Rover Series 2A Marine Blue
Marine Blue frame detail.jpeg

Reg iced up even in 20C ambient temperatures with longer spray bursts on top coats!
Iced up reg.jpeg

Now for the re-assembly... in keeping with the vintage style I have sourced and rebuilt a classic Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub, currently being built into a wheel using 27" Velocity alloy rims :cool:

Nice.

You know what's even nicer on this style of bike? When the lugs are a different color :)

Edit for our Antipodean friends: colour

Nice paint job! Gonna be a tall beauty!

Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub

Ha ha ha ha ha the best of the best

Magnificent! Magnificent!

and it still iced up with blasts at 30psi interesting

I was using car spare wheels and air brushes in the 70s and a million trips to the servo
the vacuum cleaner flyspray gun worked ok for cars
but I liked rattle guns purple and green metallic, not in the same can for pushys man!

Big fan of the AW, very reliable indestructo hub!
I got so bored in lockdown I 3D CAD modelled the entire thing... and yes the gear teeth do have involute curves :)

Sturmey Archer AW Sectioned 3D Photo 3 Logo HD.jpg

Yeah right genius

I was always fascinated by the little chain and adjustment was so simple, never pulled one apart

Huge wooden knobbed gearstick on the main bar
Had to get a little one for the butterfly bars to fit the paper round horse
and the girls

Magnificent! Magnificent! Magnificent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom