Spree trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well we made it back!! We all had a great trip. The waves going out were a little rough and it got a little rough Sunday morning, but it was still managable.

I like ladder rides. They can be fun. Keep your reg in your mouth and hang on.

Capt. Frank and Capt. Larry were great people. Super friendly always willing to talk and teach.

Dive master Melanie (Frank's wife) was absolutly no-nonsense. Great job. As a side note we both learned we graduated the same High School two years apart and kinda knew each other in band. Small world huh?

If you went hungry it was your fault. There was food constantly on the table. I've heard of people gaining weight on a liveabord. This was no different. It was all excellent fare.

As usual load up at 8:30p grab a bunk and a spot on the tank bench, do boat breifing and boogie. Boat briefing and potty training was interspersed with plenty of humor. It soon became time to try to get some sleep. (yea right)

6am Wakie wakie... light feed. Lets get wet. Note all my dives were done on 32% Nitrox.

Dive one: West Bank buoy #5 Max depth 82' time 43 min. Wave heights about 1-2 feet. Mild surface current. No bottom current. No surge. Read to here see the difference a year makes.

Spotted morays, turtles, sharks (nurse)... oh my. Balloon fish, all sorts of other neat fish. Fun...

Breakfast... yum...2 1/2 hours later... those two wonderful words... Pools open .

Dive 2: Same spot. Max depth 74' 49 min.
Those 4-5 foot barracuda can get friendly. Too friendly....

I did get to see a cleaning station in action. That was neat.

I also discovered its spawing season. Sargent Majors get mean (or try to) when guarding a nest. Lots of others doing courtship dances, chasing females, etc...

Dive 3: Rig dive. Deep water production platform. Max depth 87' 39min. Bottom was around 330' Fun rig dive. Big amberjack, more cuda, balloon fish, bearded fire worms.

Dive 4: Note weather conditions still not changing. We did find a small shower or two. Waves stayed constant at 1-3'. Surface currents could be very changeable.

Back on East bank. Saw a big Manta on surface it had left by dive time.

Max depth 76' 47 min. Two nurse sharks. A big Black Grouper.

Dive 5: Night dive. Max depth 74' 56 min. This one was kinda disappointing. 4 brittle stars, blood shrimp, several sea urchins. Reef was kinda quiet for a night dive.

Back on the boat for warm brownies and Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream.... exhaustion sets in and I crash hard.

Sunday morning on Stetson: Lots of eels. Lots of juveniles. I did get to see an intermediate phase French Angel file clams, a banded coral shrimp. more eels, tried to find a scorpion fish, found even more eels mostly spotted moray. One green. Thermalcline was at 67' where it dropped from 84 to about 80*. It was a noticeable difference.

Vis on the gardens was 100+. Vis on Stetson was about 75' Murk layer on top at Stetson.
Dive 6 Depth 83' 52 min
Dive 7 Depth 91' 47 min.

Great fun on the Spree.

Other notables: All depths are maximum depths. Not the average depth. All dives were done on 32% Nitrox as stated earlier.

TwoBit

I'm so glad the conditions were better for you this year. It's an amazing place, isn't it?

Its a great trip.

With the currents changing all the time, the boat swinging, and all it shows the Gulf is at best unpredictable. We had some newer divers on board that did ok. Some unneccessary reef crashing was noted, but ascents are on a line so those were ok.

On Stetson the three boats were right next to each other on different buoys. 7 people ended up on the wrong boat. At one point I looked up and realized I was right under the Fling (at 80') I knew it was the wrong boat. But, if you are low on air.. the wrong boat is better than running out of air trying to find yours..

Run out of air and you are done. One acceptable excuse... no second chances.. that rule is enforced equally on everyone. (Equipment failure is an accepted reason)

Differences between the Spree and the Sea Searcher II...

More people on the Spree. Its a little bigger boat, but it is more crowded.

Nitrox is available on the Spree and Fling... This place is made for Nitrox.

Depth limits are enforced 130 first dive, 100 every dive after that. There are good reasons for them. 110 miles is a long way out.

The berths are more comfortable on the Spree.

Food is always available on the Spree.

Both crews were great people.

Sea Searcher does 8 dives. Spree does 7.

Harold messed us over this year...

The Gulf-diver boats will not deal direct with a group unless...
That group has insurance. If we wanted to become formal... and get dive club insurance like a shop has... then these boats will allow us to book our own trips. Its a shared liability thing. Makes sense to me.

TwoBit

Two-Bit,
Glad you had good dives. Wish I could have been there.
Your report brings back last years trip.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I went out a month ago on the Fling & had an experience sort of halfway inbetween your two reports
3-5 ft. waves & lots of green people and/or ladder casualties
and
75-100 ft vis with lots of life to watch.

Did you get to see the frogfish ?? That was our highlight, in fact M??? of Lone Star SCUBA got a video of him!

My report is still in my laptops memory - I've gotten bounced every time I tried to download [with my home [slow]] modem and lifes been too frenetic at work to try. Perhaps this will get me moving.

Thanks -=>Larry<=-

If I remember correctly, We had a max depth of 100 fsw. Period.
Melanie was checking computers as we re-boarded the boat.

I never saw the reason to go over 100 fsw anyway.

Glad you had a good time. Id go back out with these folks in a heartbeat.

Great Diving!

Dave

My dives were very similar to Tom's so I won't elaborate.

I posted my photos tonight. Haven't updated the captions yet with what they are, but at least you can enjoy what I took. Click the link below to view the photos.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289486973

A shout out to Divewookie and Magoo. Thanks yall.

Mike,

I really don't need to join another picture posting website.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...
I really don't need to join another picture posting website.
And unfortunately I find out about this little "condition" afterI upload all those photos....

Sorry about that... I'll check out the sites you emailed me and see which works best. Worse comes to worse I'll work a few nights and post my own "album" page on my new personal site.

More details to come.

(PS. the camera setup I have works wonderfully. So if Ronbo is listening.... THANKS!!!!)

If you had done a search on free photo hosting you'd have found all kinds of info on which work and which don't! :mean: :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom