Spring straps for atomic split fins ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparkey1:
Thanks, I am a little concerned about making it permanent. But as everyone says I won't go back anyway.

I installed a pair of the Apollo Springs on my Ocean V-12 over the weekend. I was pretty nervous about cutting into my fins but they came out nice. My friends put them on their Atomic Fins as well. I tried them in the pool in my wetsuit booties and they were pretty solid. Slipped off in the water nicely. Can't wait to try them in the ocean this weekend.

You have to cut off that nub that sticks out and drill some holes. You need a Dremel.

They are nice looking units, I just purchased some Mares fins, I wish they made spring straps that just plug into the on and off factory buckles instead of having to go through so much work.

czzzaar:
I installed a pair of the Apollo Springs on my Ocean V-12 over the weekend. I was pretty nervous about cutting into my fins but they came out nice. My friends put them on their Atomic Fins as well. I tried them in the pool in my wetsuit booties and they were pretty solid. Slipped off in the water nicely. Can't wait to try them in the ocean this weekend.

You have to cut off that nub that sticks out and drill some holes. You need a Dremel.
Hello,
When you installed the strap did you have to have a slight angle up or did you come straight back. I have atomic fins. I ordered the c-straps and I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks, John

czzzaar:
Why? If the "nub" is like the one on Mares fins, you can just hook an S-hook around it and close it securely with a pair of pliers. No cutting, no drilling, and if you don't like it you can take them off and switch back.

Of course, if you're modifying your fins to take the springs intended for a pair of JetFins it's a different story, but if you're going to DIY anyhow, why not make the spring straps instead of altering the fins? It's really pretty easy, and way less than $50.

616fun:
Order the following from www.mcmaster.com:

Part # 3932K54 - 11" stainless springs - order two.
Part # 35355T13 - stainless shackle - order four.
Part # 91735A831 - Order one box - or go to Home Depot and buy four stainless 10-32 screws.
Pinch the shackles over the posts on the fins. A pair of locking pliers does this well. Attach the springs to the fins.
I cut the end of the spring off and bend up one whole ring so that the springs don't slip off the the shackle.
Get some clear PVC from Home Depot and slide it over the spring.
Some people also run a piece of cave line thru the spring 1 1/2 the length of the spring to keep from over expanding the spring.

Do screws just thread into the shackle? Or do you use the pins that come with the shackles?

3/16th shackles are the smallest I've found & they're too big for Atomics. Atomics use a smaller post than other brands do.

I came up with this for Atomics:

I make them to fit you & for your fins/boots. In order to know which springs I have to use I need a measurement from you. For fins that use a post to attach the strap buckles, while wearing your boot & fin with the buckles & strap removed measure from the center of one post, around the heel, to the center of the other post. Be sure you get your boot all the way inside the fin for proper fit.

Common length sets for Atomics are $44 shipped domestically. If you need long springs, those are $54 shipped domestically.

These came out nice, but are more labor intensive & can take me a bit longer to ship:

apollo.jpg

apolloside.jpg

apolloside2.jpg

apollotop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom