SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a SR1 and have used it in the pool twice. Yesterday I took it out to a Quarry and when I tested it on land when you purged the whole tank started shaking and it sounded like a pneumatic drill? Fortunatey the dive master is also a the shop tech for Sherwood, he couldn't find anything wrong but I wasn't going to dive with it. He gave me his Brut (which is not nearly as nice as my previous Blizzard) so I could dive. He did hear the same sound and decided to dive with my SR1 and said it worked for him....lucky him. I am really loosing faith in this reg, it freeflowed (as I was told it would, if you didn't adjust it on ascent) on my daughter, and knocked her mask off when it popped out of her mouth. Granted she is only 12 and has 8 dives since her O/W but she is in the pool working on skills every week. I am heading back to the shop today, but I think I may just go back and get a Blizzard.

g

I have a SR1 and have used it in the pool twice. Yesterday I took it out to a Quarry and when I tested it on land when you purged the whole tank started shaking and it sounded like a pneumatic drill? Fortunatey the dive master is also a the shop tech for Sherwood, he couldn't find anything wrong but I wasn't going to dive with it. He gave me his Brut (which is not nearly as nice as my previous Blizzard) so I could dive. He did hear the same sound and decided to dive with my SR1 and said it worked for him....lucky him. I am really loosing faith in this reg, it freeflowed (as I was told it would, if you didn't adjust it on ascent) on my daughter, and knocked her mask off when it popped out of her mouth. Granted she is only 12 and has 8 dives since her O/W but she is in the pool working on skills every week. I am heading back to the shop today, but I think I may just go back and get a Blizzard.

g
Okay so here is the update:

The shop I use Scuba2000 in Ontario, took my reg back and they are ordering me a new one. I also left a message on the Sherwood webpage this morning and tonight the Eastern Canadian Rep sent me an email, with his CELL number! I call Tom back and he was very apologetic and promised to take care of getting me a new SR1. He also offered me a brand new Blizzard until I could get a new SR1 (they are back ordered in Canada), and promised I would missing any dives because of this problem.

Our family all have Blizzards (except me) and really like the regs. I am going to give the SR1 another try.

I just wanted people to know that Sherwood seems to take customer service seriously (I guess they should since this stuff is our life line), which is refreshing since service is not something that seems to be a priority in this day & age.

Way to go Sherwwod.

Cheers

I live in southern Ontario Canada and sent my reg. back through Scuba Shack in Gravenhurst. They have said they will lend me a reg. if I plan to dive and overall I like dealing with them. I just have not got much info on what is happening in terms of getting a new reg. I have learned more on this thread in terms of the problem and feel at least some of my questions have been answered.

If you go on the Sherwood site Welcome to Sherwood Scuba!

And click on the "contact us" button Tom Sinel will get in contact with you. I can't find his email address right now. I contacted him through the website and he got a hold of me within 24 hours.

Also I was told I could have a brand new Blizzard until my SR1 was ready.

Cheers
g

I have to say I do find these posts a little troubling. One online retailer (won't name names lest I am accused of spamming) is selling off SR1s very cheaply at the moment, and I was very tempted to grab one.

But not living in the US, I suspect it would be difficult for me to coordinate with customer support in the same way if I had a problem. I think I may have to let this particularly bargain price pass me by...

If you go on the Sherwood site Welcome to Sherwood Scuba!

And click on the "contact us" button Tom Sinel will get in contact with you. I can't find his email address right now. I contacted him through the website and he got a hold of me within 24 hours.

Also I was told I could have a brand new Blizzard until my SR1 was ready.

Cheers
g
Waited to post this reply. I did go on the Sherwood website prior to posting here. Told them my reg. had blown and would they contact me. Their reply was to take my reg. back to the LDS to send it to them. I told them that I had already done this 4 weeks ago and wanted a new reg. to replace it. No reply. Decided to go on line to see if this was an isolated eventand get some answers,which led me to Scubaboard(great site!) Last week my LDS called to say that the Sherwood rep. had called him to get my contact info and that he would be calling that night.Finally! doubt that it was the same rep. that you had dealt with as I am still waiting for him to call!That is why I waited the week to reply as I thought that this would be resolved.It has now been seven weeks since I returned my 11 day old reg that lasted for 9 dives before it blew.
Very disappointed to say the least.

I have to say I do find these posts a little troubling. One online retailer (won't name names lest I am accused of spamming) is selling off SR1s very cheaply at the moment, and I was very tempted to grab one.

But not living in the US, I suspect it would be difficult for me to coordinate with customer support in the same way if I had a problem. I think I may have to let this particularly bargain price pass me by...
My reg. blew on my fourth day of diving in Cozumel. There is a Sherwood shop in San Miguel. The owners name is Hernan. Took my reg. to him and it turned out that the Sherwood rep. for Mexico was there at the shop that evening.Reps name is Rolando. Hernan and Rolando were quite concened about the blown reg and the interuption to my diving. They hooked me up with a Maximus to complete my last two days of diving. Simply told me to return the reg. when I was done...no charge ..no credit card imprint..did not even take my name!! I was very greatful and extremly impressed with their service. Here......not so much!

Hmmm, I do believe the problem is troubling and it appears, more widespread than initially thought.

I also had my new SR-1 pop on the boat before it had even got into the water, the local distributors replaced it without question when the shop later returned it to them, but I ended up hiring a regulator (at my own expense, which is rather a hard pill) to complete my four days of planned diving.

I am personally not that happy with the unit anymore and am considering asking for an exchange to a more reliable model now more than ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom