SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was all set to buy an SR-1 based solely on the glowing magazine reviews. After reading this thread I've decided to go with a different manufacturer.

OK Sherwood, I have 2 of these and would like you to level with the diving public why you went from 1c to 1d and how you are going to fix this. You should be shipping new units to the dealers so folks can come in and exchange it ON THE SPOT without losing dive time. I've chatted this reg up as being sweet. I know that the Rubber plug blowing will only make the reg non-enviro sealed which won't hurt anthing except allow crap inside. How about sending all registered owners some new seals. You can PM me with contact info to replace my 2 regs and yes I got the "POP" on dive 4 while training students, I had to take everyone out of the water while I changed regs. I need my regs and DON'T have time to play the shipping game. I will be glad to give you both SNs and dealer info but I need to have them ready for direct swap when I walk in the LDS. Looking forward to your PM

Not to "harp" on a point, but its not always convenient to just take the reg off to a dealer after it pops a seal, where we dive its about a four hours drive to the nearest town with a scuba shop.

In any event, the "popping" of the enviromental seal is in my opinion just a "symptom" of another independant cause elsewhere.

Even if the reg is "safe" to use after a blow, (which according to the notes, here it is) its an issue for the owner which is not been addressed, I dont blame the local distributors here, they have really gone out of their way to try and help but they can only do so much and cant fix an inherant fault. I do agree Sherwood should be more proactive here, perhaps have a retrofit kit available that the issue can be addressed immediately.

Last edited:
I agree the LDS has been great. This stuff happens, however the LDS shops need to be informed as well as those affected or who could be affected by the problem. A proactive process should be in place such that purchasers are minimally inconvenienced.

Hi All, I talked to the guys at Sherwood (800) 347-9766 and they said that there is a problem with he enviro seal going blewee on about 1% of the regs. I specifically asked if they would continue the swap out and they said their stance is to have you LDS send the reg back and you will be without one apparently while yours is being fixed. I also asked why the 1C to 1D change in SNs and I was told that there was a design change but not given the specifics, there were offered if I wanted them to call me back. I really don't care I just want my regs replaced. Blewee + Design change at this early stage ==== "ain't good" IMHO! Thanks DiverKen374 I agree that they need to get with it and send out replacement units to the dealers for walk in exchange.

Hi All, I talked to the guys at Sherwood ...they said that there is a problem with he enviro seal going blewee on about 1% of the regs....they said their stance is to have you LDS send the reg back and you will be without one apparently while yours is being fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to get an answer out of Sherwood and letting everyone know the score. This just confirms my decision not to buy from Sherwood.

KevinDwhite,

Trust me the problem was fixed by replacing the seat in the 1D series, So go a head and get one just make sure the SN starts off with 1D NOT 1C.. The older 1C regs can be returned and the part chaged out for those of us that already own an SR1. Seams the seat problem will pretty much fix the pop caused by leak by. You will dig the reg. PM me if you use lake rawings area

KevinDwhite,

Trust me the problem was fixed by replacing the seat in the 1D series, So go a head and get one just make sure the SN starts off with 1D NOT 1C.

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather spend my money on a regulator that has a longer history of reliable performance. I also think Sherwood has not handled the situation very well. I would prefer to deal with a company that is more concerned about their reputation for quality than the marginal cost of replacing a faulty product.

Last edited:
I suspect I will still end up taking a punt on the SR1.

Theory being that they have to keep the price low for a while to push the product after the bad publicity, and I am guessing they will have worked pretty bloody hard to correct the fault, lest 30 years of good reputation go down the tubes in a couple of months.

If I win I get a top quality reg at a knockdown price, if I lose, I'll have no one to blame but myself whilst I try to get the problem corrected.

I suspect I will still end up taking a punt on the SR1.

Theory being that they have to keep the price low for a while to push the product after the bad publicity, and I am guessing they will have worked pretty bloody hard to correct the fault, lest 30 years of good reputation go down the tubes in a couple of months.

If I win I get a top quality reg at a knockdown price, if I lose, I'll have no one to blame but myself whilst I try to get the problem corrected.

The Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) authorized for that regulator is $600 (that's what we sell it for with free shipping) so if you find it online for less it probably isn't from an authorized Sherwood Dealer. This means that your warranty won't be honored. That might be why some people who posted on this site may not be receiving satisfaction wih their problems. Trying to get positve satisfaction from a black market dealer is a challenge. The same greed that drives them to be unethical and sell products for which they aren't authroized dealers is reflected in their attitude towards your problems with those same products. You're on your own in most cases.
We had one SR1 returned for the popping problem. Sherwood sent me a replacement unit the same day without even receiving the problem unit. Their support for a new reg design which may understandably have a minor issue has been positive in my experience.
I read posts here from some who have posted that they had exceptionally long delays in receiving action from Sherwood. The fault may be with the LDS taking their time contacting Sherwood for corrective action. That isn't Sherwood's fault. We are dealers for several regulator manufactors and I have found every mfg that I deal with has been very quick to take positive action to insure customer satisfaction through their dealers.
I can't speak for Sherwood as to what they should or shouldn't do, all I can say that as a Sherwood Dealer my experiences with them have been positive. If your dealer isn't providing divers with positive customer service than you might consider switching dealers. We sell via our 3000 square foot retail dive shop or via our online store (Garden Cove Divers Supply). Regardless of your method of purchase from us we back our customers 100%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom