SRP Snake River Prototyping Red Filters and Macro Lens are STUNNING in Performance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got back from a Christmas week diving Cozumel Mexico's Palancar Reef System, warm water average depth 40-60-100 foot in blue sky sunny or over-cast conditions. 60-85+ foot viz........oh yeah it was horrible. (grins) feel my pain.

This trip over 10+ dives I shot a ton of video footage using super awesome stellar Snake River Prototype SRP red filters and macro lenses, on different shoots +10, +14, +21 diopter multi stack macros on different dives. WOW. Super versatile and flexible configurations of equipment.

:)

I use a Hero2 in a Backscatter flat port housing that uses 55mm threaded lens port, and Hero 3 Black. (Hero 2 is more my back up rig or if the wife would ever film.......sigh)

The Macro Lenses, WOW. Santa came through with a multitude of SRP products, and I'm blown away by their performance.

As with anything in life, you get what you pay for. Glass lenes > Plastic cheap stuff, and with the Bare threaded SPR Naked mount you can easily choose what-ever options you want, wet mount change on the fly.

With SRP's clip on "naked" filter/macro mount of 55mm thread, it was super easy to store extra lenses/filters in a BCD pocket and swap them on/off using numerous configurations..............SRP's CY red filter only, bare GoPro Housing with Twin SOLA 600 Lights, SRP Red Filter with SOLA Lights, or SRP's way cool multi-stackable Macro Filters.....................all during the SAME dive.

Macros: +10 diopter lens one dive, a +10/4 combo the next, then a +10/10/1 lens stack too. Very Very flexible.

I could focus within 2-3-4" of Arrow crabs, bristle worms, or bulb tip anemones getting down to a nano scale of resolution shooting in 1080P x 60 FPS, and 2.7K x 30 FPS.

Some people want to be a picture taker, others strive and yearn to become photographers. I like professional looking video, not washed out washed out blue blurry fish butt shots (oh those were the days shooting film........).

To keep things simple, I left Protune off, I don't like spending 150 hours of video editing color enhancing in post production for a 5-10 minute finished video............The SRP CY filter out of the box on a clear sunny day brought out vivid colors, without too much push or oversaturation unless I was in shallow waters, where I didn't have the Shallow Water SWCY filter on me as it was back in the resort hotel room.

It's awesome to have a common 55mm thread mount between the Backscatter Hero 2 and SRP Hero3 naked mount. SRP's filters and Macro lenes blew me away during the trip and as a 10 year experienced underwater photo/video guy (Yes I still use an OLY SP-350 still), I'm very very impressed with Snake River Prototypes versatile and flexible equipment.

I'm in the middle of editing footage now, see my work soon in the GoPro forum in a week or two or three (grins) Tight editing takes time, I don't produce second rate blue washed out crap like I used to 8-10 years ago, thanks to my new lenes and filter.

Trust me, this isn't an advertisement for SRP gear, but a very happy divers' endorsement compared with other Ikelite, INON lenses, Backscatter Filters, Fantasea Filters and other equipment I've used hands-on over 10 years of diving.

I've used tons of different wet mount lenses and filters in my time if you read my Sig line in detail.

It's not always the gear, but the person behind the lens that makes things work. But the Multi Stackable Wet Mount SRP Macro Lenses blew me away for their real-world up close performance, and that's incredible cool for a GoPro to focus 3-4" away and aiming the video camera RIGHT into a Turtles Eye, Arrow Crabs arms/mouth, Anemone Arm Textures, or Soft Coral Polyps to capture up-close ultimate macro detail.

I'll get some video posted up soon.........proof is in the pudding of end results not in some rambling text message, but if you're at all interested do yourself a favor and check out SRP's website to see if one of their many versatile solutions would work for you and your application.

Sounds great, looking forward to the footage!
Were you using the tray aswell? My setup consist of: GoPro Hero 3 | Backscatter Flip3 Filter | The Tray
So far, i have been liking the backscatter filters. I realy want a macro filter thoug!

Can't wait to see some video. What editing software do you use? I'm just starting to learn Powerdirector 11.

Sounds great ! I should've got the same setup - didn't get it till AFTER my trip last month to Turks and Caicos. I got a lot of razor sharp and super-close up footage. But, I know It would've been better with the SRP setup ! Can't wait to see your video !

would you mind posting links to the exact filters and connector that you are using? I find the SRP site to be very confusing. I am looking for both the red and macro filters. Which are you using?

This is a 17 meter dive in the Maldives 3 weeks ago using the GoPro Hero3+ Black and SRP red dome filter. No editing, no lights, no anything, just the filter on the GoPro. When the filter was off at the same depth everything was tinted either blue or grey. The filter brought the colours out 100%, which isnt bad considering 99% of the corals in the Maldives are dead. When near the surface the whole footage is tinted red of course so best attached when you are below 5 meters ... Watch in HD >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBFA0otgV9M

Glad to send links:

Here is what gets you started, the base of their whole filter/macro lens mount system. The "Naked" is a precision machined Delrin/Nylon mounting adapter that securely clicks/snaps onto the Hero 3 housing lens/dome. It has 55mm female threads, to receive any of their screw on filters, or macro lenses. Very positive firm retention and engagement to the Hero3 housing, but is easy to mount or remove underwater. I have a couple of the Naked mounts, then keep a glass red filter, or macro lens, mounted to each Naked with them stored in a plastic container in my BCD pocket to swap between red or macro, takes maybe 20 seconds underwater to swap.

Naked:

BlurFix3 SO Naked 55 mm Filter Adapter

While I had other color filters in the hotel room I only shot with their CY red filter. They also have SWCY (SW = shallow water) or other color filters if you're in Green Murky water and not clear blue tropics. Any of their filters mount to the 55mm Naked.

URPRO CY FIlter

For Macro, they have a +10 diopter lens, which threads onto a Naked mount. These come one to a package. As well as the +10, they also sell a triple macro lens set (not on their website?), that includes a +1, +2, +4 Diopter. Due to the extreme curvature of the +10 glass, you can't stack Two +10's on top of each other, and so need to sandwich one of these smaller diopter macros, between Dual Tens. I used the +1 as a middle lens, so the stack was a +10, +1, +10 for +21 total.

On other dives, I used just a single +10, and/or a +10 and +4, for +14 total.

As I said, this is a very versatile and flexible macro lens system to configure whatever your application may be.

+10 macro:
55 mm Marumi Macro +10

This video show very clearly, what multi stacking different diopter macro len's can get you for up close macro work and range of focus:

Excellent Video Marty, you did a great job illustrating focus range!

How to use Macro filters with a Hero3 and min focus tests - YouTube

Now that I've had time to review the ~300 video files and ~18 GIG of data I shot over 6 or 7 dives, I've selected about 150 potential keepers to edit down and trim hard leaving most of even that on the editing room floor. I edit hard, brutally hard when you put a ton of effort into shooting, sigh, but I figure if I get 2-3 good video clips out of 10 short shots, I'm doing pretty good. It's frustrating to throw 80% of your hard work away, but that's my style.

I really wanted to push these macro lens stacks to the limit, to first hand learn what their focus range would be underwater. I have video shots with literally anemone arms stuck up against the lens, and while those touching ARE out of focus, the arm detail texture of these ~8" diameter anemones in the center of the critter ARE in focus. I Intentionally wanted to have things touching the lens, In the future even with +21 diopter stacked, I'll keep 3-4" away minimum.

Optimum range seems to be 4-8 inches. now that I've had time to review my videos on a 56" large screen TV and not a little travel laptop.

I'll get some short snippets posted soon so you'll all see I'm not just a raving lunatic (don't ask my wife of her opinion......)

Here is a quicky minute and a half video showing you 1/2 dozen different video scenario scenes of what a +10 and +4 multi-stacked SRP wet mount macro lens configuration can get you when you position the GoPro only Inches from, or right on top of your video subject. Literally, the Arrow Crab, Anemone, King Crab, and Lobster arms were touching the lens and camera body I was so close, sometimes too close......My +10/+10/+1 triple stack on other dives not seen here were out out of focus as I was "too close", so maybe too much glass = more distortion? These +14 diopter shots turned out pretty sweet.

Lessons Learned: I think 4-6" from video subject would be perfect, if you look in the background behind my subjects to see what is crisp and clear, really, be sure to critique the depth of field and side scenes/objects in these shots.

Yes you can count grains of sand.

Yes you CAN shoot full true Macro with a GoPro

No red Filters on these clips, only my dual Light & Motion SOLA 600 lights on about 12" long loc-line arms each, on a home made tray.

No Protune.

No color/contrast enhancement in GoPro Studio, or other post production, heck this is freebee Windows Live Movie Maker editing software, barebones but quick and easy to use.

Video shot at 2.7K x 30 FPS, medium mode, put up on Vimeo at 1080 rez.

Also note, No Vinetting or darkened corners even with Dual Stacked Macro Lenses, I didn't crop nor zoom-in during post production either.............this is straight from the camera to the hard-drive in short burst of editing of time-line then to Vimeo.

No these video's aren't super-duper Steven Spielberg perfect, but for posting them up on Vimeo with web compression even downscaled to 1080, not too shabby for sharing with friends and family, especially for these my first dives with the Macro Lens's.............I've got about 4 dives of learning curve under my belt now for light aiming and composition. Note some Blueing and hazing/ghosting on the Anemone arms, but you can still make out polyp/arm/texture.

Grins, hope everyone enjoys the music and has it embedded deep into their brain the rest of today. Yes It Is a Small World After all............

I'll post more Cozumel clips later, maybe in another post so this thread doesn't get too long/stretched out. Haven't even touched my wide angle Red filter material yet. Too much to wade through.

Thank god for my Alienware Gaming PC, super fast Dual Quad Core liquid cooled CPU's, 16 gig of ram, and wonker of a video card. Video editing really can tax a mere mortal Dell or similar PC.........on a laptop, don't even think about it unless you have hours to burn in exporting time in GoPro Studio.

enjoy my first Macro Lens Dives:

Macro Scuba Cozumel - It's a Small World on Vimeo

Nice shots,...the music :D !
I guess the next challenge now for macro is to hold the camera steady enough.... Maybe a tripod could help, but you will have to move it often to get different shots OR just concentrate on one spot a time\dive......

Back
Top Bottom