SRP Snake River Prototyping Red Filters and Macro Lens are STUNNING in Performance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice shots,...the music :D !
I guess the next challenge now for macro is to hold the camera steady enough.... Maybe a tripod could help, but you will have to move it often to get different shots OR just concentrate on one spot a time\dive......

Yes in Cozumel Mexico there is Mucho Grande' current, but while trying to focus only inches away from a critter, and aimed twin loc-line lights, the jiggle and wiggle can happen............grins...........shrug...........I'm human........I could edit/out trim more, this was a quick dub down for anxious people PM'ing me for footage.........:)

Your comment about a stationary tripod brought back a story I heard from a fellow diver on a live aboard, who'd find a stationary but skitterish animal like a yellow headed bared Jaw fish, or Garden Eels, that pop in and out of a hole in the sand as divers would pass over.........you can't get within 10-15 feet of them and they disappear........so this gal would take a spare GoPro on a tripod, put it next to XYZ creatures hole while anchored under the live-aboard, let it shoot for 1/2-1 hour, and get GREAT footage though you have a lot of film to edit through. But it's a stationary un-manned running Gopro, getting shy creature shots...........could work great for time-lapse too.

Good stuff Dave, I agree with all you have said and have been using SRP gear since their first hero1 Blurfix (back when it actually needed to fix blur) and before I even looked into other filters. Then once I tried the URpro filters the results blew me away, I have also used just about everything before the SRP gear and most competitors after though there are so many out now I just havent really bothered trying them all any more.

I have hundreds of dives with my filters and tray so it would work out very cheap per dive where for the same price I can get one local chartered dive,that doesnt include every other cost including the 2hr round trip and all the coffee stops along the way lol. I have tried most of the cheaper filters but results just arent as good and even though I am using relatively cheap cameras the last thing you want to cheap out on is the extra optics as this will just reduce the end results. I have been amazed at what you can get out of the little tiny camera and so have still kept away from getting a UW housing for my bigger camera's which I always intended to do and use the gopro as a stepping stone but I have just moved from hero 1 to hero blacks.

For macro stuff You can also use the tray as a bipod but as you say many critters normally dont hang around and wait for you to setup the shot and lights posing like supermodels. I found a good trick with macro and using lights is to use 1080p60 narrow mode then slow it down 50%, this will smooth it down a little and as most things dont hang around that long halving the speed gives you instantly twice the length of shot to play with. I have been planning on leaving a couple gopro's down amongst some sharks for an hour or so, hoping they dont take it away but should get some nice shots of what its like with no humans in the water.

I agree with the 1080p/60fps totally ! I did that for the first time on my last trip and the footage came out awesome !!!

http://youtu.be/JpVsWRA02sU

And definitely - 60fps halved down to a 30fps comp makes for smoother and longer footage - beautiful detail !

However, I prefer Medium FOV. Didn't get my SRP gear till after this trip so I can't wait for the next tube to try it out. The rear facing shots (selfies) were in wide FOV - which it the only way I could ever record myself swimming with the SeaTurtle !

These GoPro's are amazing and I think the lifetime memories they capture are priceless ! Loved all of your videos guys ! Thanks for sharing !

Thought of leaving the GoPro on a tripod also but never got brave enough to leave my camera unattended around people I just met. But maybe I should try it !

Here is a video I made demonstrating how much of a difference the macro lenses make. I bought the macro filter kit on Amazon for about $10. The SRP +10 filter is insanely expensive at $56. For $10 I got +1, +2, +4, and +10 as well as a padded carrying case. The filters themselves are glass, not plastic, and the rings are metal. They are also threaded on front and back. I do use the SRP naked adapter though and it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxN-7YzrOrE

I also mess around with Marco on Gopro with the srp adapter... But... Really why would u want to do that? And it seems to me a +10 is all you need to get some kind of Marco going....

I agree, SRP filters are top notch. I shot my 1st video using SRP's tray, lights and filter at Planacar Caves. I was very impressed with the quality from my Hero3 BE and SRPs gear.

[video=vimeo;75675345]https://vimeo.com/75675345[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom