SS Thorfinn Truk Lagoon - Unsafe Practices, Problematic Captain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How on earth is the captain of a ship supposed to prevent a diver from causing themselves to get bent?
Also, just because a ship has a death doesn't mean their bad. Depends on what happened. Heart attack,lost in a wreck,running out of air? Not the Captain's fault.

I read a funny post a while ago from a diver who went on the Thorfinn. He said that the wrecks at the bottom of Truk were in better condition than the Thorfinn.

diver dude, you are rapidly outstripping the truths in your story. We agree that we're not comfortable with several aspects of his operation, but after such a researched response, we're wondering why you didn't do this before spending X dollars on a boat you must have known nothing about. It's just an order of operations problem. Research the hell out of it then pay not vice versa. Your own research bears that out.

You will have to adjust your expectations because any time on liveaboards in far flung locations makes it obvious it's not like running them in civilization even if you have the money to. And you can't refer to the Yamaha website for reliability data about Yamaha products, besides comparing far off Charleston to Chuuk.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread temporarily closed for moderator review. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

---------- Post added November 19th, 2015 at 10:32 AM ----------

This thread has been cleaned up, beginning with the title. The initial post has been moderated to remove inflammatory language and to bring it into compliance with SB Terms of Service. Many other posts have been edited to remove references to content I moderated, and others - which were also personal attacks - have been removed or edited. I am now re-opening the thread.

Please remember: it's OK to disagree but it's not OK to be disagreeable. This will be the only warning I will give; any further TOS violations will be met with more invasive moderation efforts up to, and including, removal of posting privileges. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

diver dude, you are rapidly outstripping the truths in your story. We agree that we're not comfortable with several aspects of his operation, but after such a researched response, we're wondering why you didn't do this before spending X dollars on a boat you must have known nothing about. It's just an order of operations problem. Research the hell out of it then pay not vice versa. Your own research bears that out.

You will have to adjust your expectations because any time on liveaboards in far flung locations makes it obvious it's not like running them in civilization even if you have the money to. And you can't refer to the Yamaha website for reliability data about Yamaha products, besides comparing far off Charleston to Chuuk.

You are correct that I did not "Research the hell out of it then pay".

My mistake.

So what I'm doing now is to alert others who are thinking of diving with the Thorfinn. Thank you for the backhanded compliment that my extensive research came too late for myself. I hope others can now benefit from it. Minus the fanboys - you can tell who they are.

No one has yet published a video of Higgs responding to unhappy customers. So far it has always been a case of word against word. Some here see nothing wrong with his response shown in the video. That's their right. Others think quite the opposite, in particular those on board that day who were directly put at risk.

My expectations have already been pared down much. Notice that I did not nitpick on housekeeping and other such smaller problems. The main thrust of my first post was the big picture - safety. The Thorfinn+Higgs act is a safety disaster.

It is a fair comparison to use the Yamaha website. I also have Yamaha engines. They are reliable. Read the testimony how the engines lasted so long. It was nothing special. No fancy tools or talent needed, contrary to Higgs' claims. Just follow the maintenance procedures.

If you are saying that Truk is too remote, well that is not a huge problem for those who can plan or read the manual. Planned maintenance is exactly that - plan when you are going to do the maintenance, and order the parts in ahead of time. Higgs' problems are mostly self-inflicted because he is just firefighting. His excuses are always the same - something or someone else's fault, never his. Read his flowery response again and try and see through his fantastic stories.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2015 at 01:37 AM ----------

Wow you really sanitized it. I didn't think there was any foul language being used????????

Some words are obviously taboo and somehow trigger emotional responses. We don't seem to have a problem calling a spade a spade.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2015 at 01:40 AM ----------

did that happen in instance OP described? b/c doesnt sound like it did.

Higgs won't answer that question.

You are correct.

It did not happen - not just for 15-20 minutes, but for 3 hours. The video I posted has at least 3 voices saying so. Who would you rather believe?

Thank you for exposing Higgs.

After reading all the reviews again for the Thorfinn it would seem spending the additional $700 per person for the Odyssea would be a requirement for a trip of this magnitude.

Thread temporarily closed for moderator review. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

---------- Post added November 19th, 2015 at 10:32 AM ----------

This thread has been cleaned up, beginning with the title. The initial post has been moderated to remove inflammatory language and to bring it into compliance with SB Terms of Service. Many other posts have been edited to remove references to content I moderated, and others - which were also personal attacks - have been removed or edited. I am now re-opening the thread.

Please remember: it's OK to disagree but it's not OK to be disagreeable. This will be the only warning I will give; any further TOS violations will be met with more invasive moderation efforts up to, and including, removal of posting privileges. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I understand that moderating is tricky but a number of posts have been lost here which reflect on how seriously you might take the posters. Although irrelevant to the facts of the matter those posts are important just because the poster thought it was a good idea to make them.

I am interested in going to Truk, this is one of the potential places to stay so I'm quite interested. The credibility of the complaining diver does come into whether I take any notice of the complaint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom